Exhibit honors architect

Two men converse about the exhibit at the School of Architecture featuring work inspired by Italian architect Andrea Palladio. Zoe Lu//The Miami Hurricane

Sixteenth century architecture is taking on a modern twist.

The Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center at the School of Architecture is hosting a new exhibit entitled “New Palladians” that showcases the work of 50 modern architects who have been inspired by 16th-century Italian architect Andrea Palladio.

“The exhibit is really quite beautiful if you like classical architecture,” said Carolyn White, the manager of public relations and special projects at the School of Architecture

Palladio’s influence can be seen in the White House, Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and the U.S. Capitol building. Key features of his architectural style include the use of symmetry, arches and columns. Most of his buildings were homes.

Lucien Steil, a renowned architect from Luxembourg and co-author of the book “New Palladians,” led a tour of the exhibit on Feb. 9. Steil owns the exhibition, which includes works by UM faculty, and frequently lends it to colleges and universities across the country.

According to Steil, Palladio’s influence on major works around the world stems from the sustainable principles he used.

Palladio was known for recycling existing buildings and materials in order to create new ones, using local materials and employing local craftsmen.

He also created an antique form of air conditioning by harvesting the cool air from the basements of his buildings and bringing it to the living areas through chimneys.

Even the familiar backyard American porch has its origin in Palladio’s porticos, which were built symmetrically on all sides so that occupants could enjoy the scenic Venetian landscape while sheltering from the heat.

“He was so famous, and his work so beautiful that architects thoughout the ages and those today are still using examples of his design,” White said.

Palladio was “a very kind man, a very humble man and a very respected man” who tried to use the “best possible solutions to make beautiful contributions to an existing context.”

Jackson Cranfield, a senior studying architecture at UM, viewed the exhibit.

“His work seems to be all about symmetry, using math and making sure the buildings are sustainable,” Cranfield said.

Rachel Maher

The Miami Hurricanes may have found their future quarterback. Tate Martell, a former four-star recru ...

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...