Exhibit honors architect

Two men converse about the exhibit at the School of Architecture featuring work inspired by Italian architect Andrea Palladio. Zoe Lu//The Miami Hurricane

Sixteenth century architecture is taking on a modern twist.

The Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center at the School of Architecture is hosting a new exhibit entitled “New Palladians” that showcases the work of 50 modern architects who have been inspired by 16th-century Italian architect Andrea Palladio.

“The exhibit is really quite beautiful if you like classical architecture,” said Carolyn White, the manager of public relations and special projects at the School of Architecture

Palladio’s influence can be seen in the White House, Thomas Jefferson’s Monticello and the U.S. Capitol building. Key features of his architectural style include the use of symmetry, arches and columns. Most of his buildings were homes.

Lucien Steil, a renowned architect from Luxembourg and co-author of the book “New Palladians,” led a tour of the exhibit on Feb. 9. Steil owns the exhibition, which includes works by UM faculty, and frequently lends it to colleges and universities across the country.

According to Steil, Palladio’s influence on major works around the world stems from the sustainable principles he used.

Palladio was known for recycling existing buildings and materials in order to create new ones, using local materials and employing local craftsmen.

He also created an antique form of air conditioning by harvesting the cool air from the basements of his buildings and bringing it to the living areas through chimneys.

Even the familiar backyard American porch has its origin in Palladio’s porticos, which were built symmetrically on all sides so that occupants could enjoy the scenic Venetian landscape while sheltering from the heat.

“He was so famous, and his work so beautiful that architects thoughout the ages and those today are still using examples of his design,” White said.

Palladio was “a very kind man, a very humble man and a very respected man” who tried to use the “best possible solutions to make beautiful contributions to an existing context.”

Jackson Cranfield, a senior studying architecture at UM, viewed the exhibit.

“His work seems to be all about symmetry, using math and making sure the buildings are sustainable,” Cranfield said.

Rachel Maher

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...