UM is on the path to national prominence

Last time around, the University of Miami Momentum fundraising campaign garnered $1.4 billion in donations. This time around, Momentum 2 is following up with a goal of $1.6 billion in donations to enhance the quality of education and student life here at UM.

This is a clear affirmation of the direction in which the university is heading towards. We understand how much room we have to grow. We need to continue setting the foundations in order to grow. We want these foundations to make us never settle for anything but the best.

This past fall, UM was ranked No. 38 nationally by U.S. News & World Report. There is much more room for growth, as there are 37 colleges to move above in the rankings. Those 37 should be concerned, as we are coming and looking for more.

Much of the money from the donations will be planned for the medical school, science facilities, scholarships and dorms. These are the exact foundations that the university must center on in order for growth.

Medicine and science are innovative fields that influence and benefit society, and strengthening the university research in these areas is imperative. Scholarships change student lives by opening doors that are otherwise burdensome to open.

Financial barriers should not hinder students from contributing to the vibrant campus of UM. Dorms are integral to student quality of life. They enhance the college experience as they are centered amidst campus life.

The Momentum 2 campaign will allow the foundations to be set in order for UM to never settle for anything but the best. President Donna E. Shalala said, “The real importance of it is it will firmly establish us in the top ranks of American universities.”

No other university can match our innovative spirit and progressive outlook. This breakthrough campaign will lead UM along the right path to national prominence. Expectations are set high.

Raymond La is a freshman majoring in microbiology.

Raymond La

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...