News Briefs 2/20

Photography

Film production Professor Jeffrey Stern will present his new photography exhibit, “Legerdemain,” at the University of Miami’s Wynwood Project Space in Downtown Miami on Friday. An Emmy-nominated filmmaker, Stern is also known for working with sound editing in films and television shows like “Silence of the Lambs,” “Goodfellas” and “Boardwalk Empire.” The exhibit is located at 2200A NW 2 Ave. For more information, call 305-284-2543 or email m.cardoso1@miami.edu.

Ethics Films

The next film in the ethics film series will be screened at the Bill Cosford Cinema on Feb. 28 at 6:15 p.m. Titled “Blood Coltan,” the film explores Western consumerism in relation to the death of innocent people. The screening is followed by a debate, and no RSVP or entrance fee is necessary. For more information, call UM ethics program at 305-243-5723.

Alexander Gonzalez may be contacted at akhan@themiamihurricane.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...