Award-winning flautist performs with Frost jazz band

Nestor Torress played with the Frost School of Music Jazz Band on Saturday afternoon during the Coconut Grove Arts Festival. The festival began in 1963 as a "clothes line" art show, which featured only a handful of artists. Today, the event attracts around 120,000 people and is produced by the Coconut Grove Arts and Historical Assicioation. Nestor Torres is a jazz flautist born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. He moved to New York when he was 18 and studied both jazz and classical music at the Manness College of Music in New YorkMarlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

The Frost School of Music’s concert jazz band joined Latin Grammy-award winning flautist Nestor Torres on stage Saturday to celebrate art of all media at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival.

The UM band performed for about four hours, featuring songs of varying genres, from salsa music to contemporary pieces like “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

The jazz band, which includes saxophones, trumpets, trombones, drums, a bass, a guitar and a piano, brought to life the works of several artists, including some UM alumni.

Torres joined the band at the end of their set and shared stories with the audience about the pieces he and the band played.

Junior Michael Piolet said the festival had a “cool vibe.”

Piolet, who filled in for the band’s usual drummer, said working with Torres was a valuable experience.

“He was with us in rehearsals all last week, guiding us and making sure we were playing right,” Piolet said.

This was not the first time Torres  has worked with UM. He has collaborated with the university for other events, including the Festival of Miami. Torres also played a special event for the University of Miami in 2010 called Flute Journey, in which he performed with students in the Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra.

“It is always a pleasure working with the University of Miami,” Torres said.

UM’s jazz band is directed by Professor Dante Luciani, who is also a UM alumnus. He said the university and the Coconut Grove Arts Festival have worked together for a long time.

Luciani remembers when he performed for the festival during the ‘80s as a UM student. At the time, the festival was a “clothesline” art show that featured a handful of artists as part of promotion for the Coconut Grove Playhouse.

The festival ends Monday and is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets cost $10; however, residents who live in the 33133 zip code can purchase tickets for $5. For more information, visit cgaf.com.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...