Award-winning flautist performs with Frost jazz band

Nestor Torress played with the Frost School of Music Jazz Band on Saturday afternoon during the Coconut Grove Arts Festival. The festival began in 1963 as a "clothes line" art show, which featured only a handful of artists. Today, the event attracts around 120,000 people and is produced by the Coconut Grove Arts and Historical Assicioation. Nestor Torres is a jazz flautist born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. He moved to New York when he was 18 and studied both jazz and classical music at the Manness College of Music in New YorkMarlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

The Frost School of Music’s concert jazz band joined Latin Grammy-award winning flautist Nestor Torres on stage Saturday to celebrate art of all media at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival.

The UM band performed for about four hours, featuring songs of varying genres, from salsa music to contemporary pieces like “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

The jazz band, which includes saxophones, trumpets, trombones, drums, a bass, a guitar and a piano, brought to life the works of several artists, including some UM alumni.

Torres joined the band at the end of their set and shared stories with the audience about the pieces he and the band played.

Junior Michael Piolet said the festival had a “cool vibe.”

Piolet, who filled in for the band’s usual drummer, said working with Torres was a valuable experience.

“He was with us in rehearsals all last week, guiding us and making sure we were playing right,” Piolet said.

This was not the first time Torres  has worked with UM. He has collaborated with the university for other events, including the Festival of Miami. Torres also played a special event for the University of Miami in 2010 called Flute Journey, in which he performed with students in the Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra.

“It is always a pleasure working with the University of Miami,” Torres said.

UM’s jazz band is directed by Professor Dante Luciani, who is also a UM alumnus. He said the university and the Coconut Grove Arts Festival have worked together for a long time.

Luciani remembers when he performed for the festival during the ‘80s as a UM student. At the time, the festival was a “clothesline” art show that featured a handful of artists as part of promotion for the Coconut Grove Playhouse.

The festival ends Monday and is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets cost $10; however, residents who live in the 33133 zip code can purchase tickets for $5. For more information, visit cgaf.com.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

College of Engineering alumnus Frank DeMattia was just 21 years old when he went to work at NASA on ...

Registered dietitian Stephanie Sanchez shares realistic, healthy ways to get you on track and headed ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...

The National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) has awarded the University of Miami a 2019 NCAA ...

Dane Dunlap, William Grattan-Smith and Franco Aubone were each selected as All-Academic Scholar Athl ...