Award-winning flautist performs with Frost jazz band

Nestor Torress played with the Frost School of Music Jazz Band on Saturday afternoon during the Coconut Grove Arts Festival. The festival began in 1963 as a "clothes line" art show, which featured only a handful of artists. Today, the event attracts around 120,000 people and is produced by the Coconut Grove Arts and Historical Assicioation. Nestor Torres is a jazz flautist born in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico. He moved to New York when he was 18 and studied both jazz and classical music at the Manness College of Music in New YorkMarlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

The Frost School of Music’s concert jazz band joined Latin Grammy-award winning flautist Nestor Torres on stage Saturday to celebrate art of all media at the Coconut Grove Arts Festival.

The UM band performed for about four hours, featuring songs of varying genres, from salsa music to contemporary pieces like “Somewhere Over the Rainbow.”

The jazz band, which includes saxophones, trumpets, trombones, drums, a bass, a guitar and a piano, brought to life the works of several artists, including some UM alumni.

Torres joined the band at the end of their set and shared stories with the audience about the pieces he and the band played.

Junior Michael Piolet said the festival had a “cool vibe.”

Piolet, who filled in for the band’s usual drummer, said working with Torres was a valuable experience.

“He was with us in rehearsals all last week, guiding us and making sure we were playing right,” Piolet said.

This was not the first time Torres  has worked with UM. He has collaborated with the university for other events, including the Festival of Miami. Torres also played a special event for the University of Miami in 2010 called Flute Journey, in which he performed with students in the Henry Mancini Institute Orchestra.

“It is always a pleasure working with the University of Miami,” Torres said.

UM’s jazz band is directed by Professor Dante Luciani, who is also a UM alumnus. He said the university and the Coconut Grove Arts Festival have worked together for a long time.

Luciani remembers when he performed for the festival during the ‘80s as a UM student. At the time, the festival was a “clothesline” art show that featured a handful of artists as part of promotion for the Coconut Grove Playhouse.

The festival ends Monday and is open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tickets cost $10; however, residents who live in the 33133 zip code can purchase tickets for $5. For more information, visit cgaf.com.

Erika Glass

Multimedia Editor

If he hasn’t made it already, Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt has a defining decision to ponder in ...

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...

The University of Miami volleyball program defeated Duke, 3-1, winning its fourth straight match and ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned one of the most prestigious coll ...

The season-opening, three-day Miami Fall Invite wrapped up Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center a ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...