2/16 News Briefs

Black Awareness Month

Feb. 16- A lecture titled “Black Identity, Perpetually Under Protection” given by guest speaker Professor Dexter Gordon will be held at the Newman Alumni Center at 6:30 pm.

Feb. 21- The 50th Anniversary of De-Segregation at UM will be commemorated at the Gusman Concert Hall at 7:45 p.m. with guest speaker Cornell West.

Feb. 29- BAM will present a variety of Gospel performances to improve mind, body and spirit. “Gospel Explosion: Moving on Up” will be held at the School of Communication Courtyard at 7:30 p.m.

RSMAS

Feb. 16, at the Ungar Building room 23D from 5-6:15 p.m., RSMAS Marine Affairs will host a discussion about the impacts on coral reefs and explore the benefits of underwater mosaics to document anthropogenic change and to suggest boundaries for and improvements to Marine Protected Areas. For more information, contact Kasey Cantwell, teaching assistant in marine Geology and geophysics, at k.cantwell@umiami.edu.

CPR Class

At the Patti and Allan Herbert Wellness Center, from noon to 2 p.m., Heart Saver CPR with AED will teach CPR techniques and relief for choking in adults, children and infants. Participants will learn to use an Automated External Defibrillator. The cost is $30 for student members, $35 for non-student members and $40 non-members. To register, call 305-284-5433 or visit the Wellness Enrichment Suite in the second floor of the Wellness Center.

SG Voting

From Feb. 20-22, pass by the UC Breezeway to vote for next year’s Student Government candidates. The first ticket is “Inspired by U” with junior Nawara Alawa running for president, junior Caitlin Giles for vice president and junior Kenny Esman for treasurer. The second is “Think B.I.G.” with junior Parker Barnett for president, junior Emily Stanch for vice president and junior Ian Bai for treasurer. For more information, visit the tickets’ websites, inspiredbyu.org and votebig2012.com.

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...