‘The Vow’ almost wows

Photo courtesy filmofilia.com

Have you ever read an amazing book and, upon finishing, wished you could experience it again for the first time? I know I feel this way all the time. So when Leo (Channing Tatum) compared that situation to his current situation with wife Paige (Rachel McAdams) midway through “The Vow,” I breathed an inward sigh of relief; perhaps there’s still hope for this movie after all!

The situation they find themselves in is indeed a tricky one. After a car crash that lands Paige in a coma, she wakes up with no recollection of the past five years — meaning she has no memory of her current life or of her husband, Leo.

Upon realizing that there’s a chance that Paige will never regain her memory, Leo proposes that they start dating, and points out the one positive in a truly sucky situation: that she can experience them falling in love all over again, as if for the first time.

Despite the contrived plot, the romantic in me found myself somewhat swept away by such a grand notion; who wouldn’t want to relive the honeymoon period of a relationship all over again?

To my dismay, the majority of the movie is littered with extraneous subplots that just take away from the film’s message.

Moreover, instead of trying to piece together her current life, Paige acts standoffish and uninterested toward Leo — no mind to the fact that he loves her unconditionally, looks like Channing Tatum and is her husband.

By merging into soap-opera territory, “The Vow” loses a lot of the romantic earnestness it should have had. I relished the date scene, as well as some of the more lighthearted scenes, such as Paige gasping and shielding her eyes after Leo walks into the room naked, which has him respond with, “Come on, it’s not like you haven’t seen it before.”

Those words could apply to the film just as well.

Rating: 2 Stars

Lauren Cohen

Contributing Edge Writer

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...