Exploring gifts for Valentine’s Day

Love it or loathe it, Valentine’s Day is looming on the very-near horizon. Personally I’m a fan, but perhaps that’s because I have a special someone this year or I’ve had enough sucky ones that I figure a good attitude might make the day better. But let’s not allow my spinster attitude get us down. Instead, let’s explore the ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day in relationships of various stages! Whether you’re in an exciting new fling or a tried and true relationship, I’ve got you covered.

The Relationship: ‘It’s Complicated’

You’re not together but you kinda are. Do you do the whole rose and chocolates? Ignore it altogether? Make some off-hand remark about it? Oh god, what if he thinks I’m being clingy?

Potential gift: A decent movie and a wry “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

The Relationship: Two Weeks in Wonderland
You haven’t been together long, so it’s uncertain territory. Likes and dislikes, inside-jokes, wishes and dreams are yet to be concretely understood by either party, so anything over the top is out of the question.

Potential gift: At this point I’d say it’s socially acceptable to present your lover with a box of chocolates and a rose but with a twist depending on how the relationship is going so far. With a cute smile, an arched eyebrow and a shrug in order to diffuse any sense of absolute earnestness.

The Relationship: The Three Month Sweet Spot
Everything is still new and exciting, but you know more about your mate now. The sex is good, you’re still all gooey-eyed around each other and others exclaim ‘Awww you guys are so cute together!’ That is, until you engage in a very elaborate and public make out session, at which point others mime vomit and avert their eyes.

Potential gift: Dinner at a restaurant, a bottle of wine and some edible body paint.

The Relationship: The Six Month Itch
Things are progressing at a pace you are both comfortable with. You’ve had at least one serious argument that involved tearful words, but had admittedly great make up sex afterwards. You’ve contemplated what things would be like if you were to separate from your partner and decide that you are in this for the long haul and the dating scene is just way too scary for you to venture off into again. Plus, he’s such a great kisser!

Potential gift: A personalized gift based on an inside joke including some form of gooey gesture – perhaps watching the sunrise on the beach!

The Relationship: One Year Down.
Things are now comfortingly predictable and boring. Congratulations! This being said: Take out all the stops!

Potential gift: Try a different cuisine at a new restaurant or take a road trip together to a nearby getaway like Orlando or Tampa. It’s always romantic to see your partner scream like a wuss on a roller-coaster.

Whatever you do for Valentine’s Day, don’t get too caught up in it. There are 364 other days in the year to show your partner just how weak in the knees they make you.

Brandy Caballero

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...