Exploring gifts for Valentine’s Day

Love it or loathe it, Valentine’s Day is looming on the very-near horizon. Personally I’m a fan, but perhaps that’s because I have a special someone this year or I’ve had enough sucky ones that I figure a good attitude might make the day better. But let’s not allow my spinster attitude get us down. Instead, let’s explore the ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day in relationships of various stages! Whether you’re in an exciting new fling or a tried and true relationship, I’ve got you covered.

The Relationship: ‘It’s Complicated’

You’re not together but you kinda are. Do you do the whole rose and chocolates? Ignore it altogether? Make some off-hand remark about it? Oh god, what if he thinks I’m being clingy?

Potential gift: A decent movie and a wry “Happy Valentine’s Day.”

The Relationship: Two Weeks in Wonderland
You haven’t been together long, so it’s uncertain territory. Likes and dislikes, inside-jokes, wishes and dreams are yet to be concretely understood by either party, so anything over the top is out of the question.

Potential gift: At this point I’d say it’s socially acceptable to present your lover with a box of chocolates and a rose but with a twist depending on how the relationship is going so far. With a cute smile, an arched eyebrow and a shrug in order to diffuse any sense of absolute earnestness.

The Relationship: The Three Month Sweet Spot
Everything is still new and exciting, but you know more about your mate now. The sex is good, you’re still all gooey-eyed around each other and others exclaim ‘Awww you guys are so cute together!’ That is, until you engage in a very elaborate and public make out session, at which point others mime vomit and avert their eyes.

Potential gift: Dinner at a restaurant, a bottle of wine and some edible body paint.

The Relationship: The Six Month Itch
Things are progressing at a pace you are both comfortable with. You’ve had at least one serious argument that involved tearful words, but had admittedly great make up sex afterwards. You’ve contemplated what things would be like if you were to separate from your partner and decide that you are in this for the long haul and the dating scene is just way too scary for you to venture off into again. Plus, he’s such a great kisser!

Potential gift: A personalized gift based on an inside joke including some form of gooey gesture – perhaps watching the sunrise on the beach!

The Relationship: One Year Down.
Things are now comfortingly predictable and boring. Congratulations! This being said: Take out all the stops!

Potential gift: Try a different cuisine at a new restaurant or take a road trip together to a nearby getaway like Orlando or Tampa. It’s always romantic to see your partner scream like a wuss on a roller-coaster.

Whatever you do for Valentine’s Day, don’t get too caught up in it. There are 364 other days in the year to show your partner just how weak in the knees they make you.

Brandy Caballero

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...