Blogs

Grammys to air on Sunday, my thoughts on the nominations

While waiting for the Oscars to come around, I realized that the Grammys are coming up soon. I thought I’d share my predictions and thoughts on this year’s nominations. You can watch the Grammys on Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS. To check out the rest of the nominations, visit grammy.com/nominees.

Record of the Year

“Rolling in the Deep” – Adele

“Holocene” – Bon Iver

“Grenade” – Bruno Mars

“The Cave” – Mumford & Sons

“Firework” – Katy Perry

I don’t think there’s any competition in this category. Although I’m not a huge fan of Adele, she has had an incredible year. “Rolling in the Deep” was probably the biggest song of 2011. She’ll definitely take the Grammy.

Album of the Year

“21” – Adele

“Wasting Light” – Foo Fighters

“Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” – Bruno Mars

“Loud” – Rihanna

I think Katy Perry was snubbed. Her album was the biggest of the year. She broke several records and definitely deserved to be recognized. Anyway, I think Adele or Lady Gaga will win. However, among these nominees, Bruno Mars deserves it.

Song of the Year

“All of the Lights”

“The Cave”

“Grenade”

“Holocene”

“Rolling in the Deep”

“Rolling in the Deep” should win. Like I said before, it was the biggest song of 2011.

Best New Artist

The Band Perry

Bon Iver

J. Cole

Nicki Minaj

Skrillex

I think Bon Iver will win, but I think Nicki deserves it.

Best Pop Solo Performance

“Someone Like You” – Adele

“You and I” – Lady Gaga

“Grenade” – Bruno Mars

“Firework” – Katy Perry

“F***in’ Perfect” – Pink

Although “You and I” is my personal favorite from these nominees, I think Adele will win this one.

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

“Body and Soul” – Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse

“Dearest” – The Black Keys

“Paradise” – Coldplay

“Pumped Up Kicks” – Foster the People

“Moves Like Jagger” – Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera

Foster the People should win this; lead singer Mark Foster recorded and produced the track himself without the rest of the band. In my opinion, that alone should be recognized. However, I think Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse will win.

Best Pop Vocal Album

“21” – Adele

“The Lady Killer” – Cee Lo Green

“Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” – Bruno Mars

“Loud” – Rihanna

I think Lady Gaga will take this one.

Best Rap Album

“Watch The Throne” – Jay-Z and Kanye West

“The Carter IV” – Lil Wayne

“Lasers” – Lupe Fiasco

“Pink Friday” – Nicki Minaj

“My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” – Kanye West

How is this even a question? “Watch The Throne.” Next.

Best Rap Performance

“Look At Me Now” – Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Busta Rhymes

“Otis” – Jay-Z and Kanye West

“The Show Goes On” – Lupe Fiasco

“Moment 4 Life” – Nicki Minaj and Drake

“Black and Yellow” – Wiz Khalifa

If “Look At Me Now” doesn’t win, something is wrong with the world.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...