Blogs

Grammys to air on Sunday, my thoughts on the nominations

While waiting for the Oscars to come around, I realized that the Grammys are coming up soon. I thought I’d share my predictions and thoughts on this year’s nominations. You can watch the Grammys on Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS. To check out the rest of the nominations, visit grammy.com/nominees.

Record of the Year

“Rolling in the Deep” – Adele

“Holocene” – Bon Iver

“Grenade” – Bruno Mars

“The Cave” – Mumford & Sons

“Firework” – Katy Perry

I don’t think there’s any competition in this category. Although I’m not a huge fan of Adele, she has had an incredible year. “Rolling in the Deep” was probably the biggest song of 2011. She’ll definitely take the Grammy.

Album of the Year

“21” – Adele

“Wasting Light” – Foo Fighters

“Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” – Bruno Mars

“Loud” – Rihanna

I think Katy Perry was snubbed. Her album was the biggest of the year. She broke several records and definitely deserved to be recognized. Anyway, I think Adele or Lady Gaga will win. However, among these nominees, Bruno Mars deserves it.

Song of the Year

“All of the Lights”

“The Cave”

“Grenade”

“Holocene”

“Rolling in the Deep”

“Rolling in the Deep” should win. Like I said before, it was the biggest song of 2011.

Best New Artist

The Band Perry

Bon Iver

J. Cole

Nicki Minaj

Skrillex

I think Bon Iver will win, but I think Nicki deserves it.

Best Pop Solo Performance

“Someone Like You” – Adele

“You and I” – Lady Gaga

“Grenade” – Bruno Mars

“Firework” – Katy Perry

“F***in’ Perfect” – Pink

Although “You and I” is my personal favorite from these nominees, I think Adele will win this one.

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

“Body and Soul” – Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse

“Dearest” – The Black Keys

“Paradise” – Coldplay

“Pumped Up Kicks” – Foster the People

“Moves Like Jagger” – Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera

Foster the People should win this; lead singer Mark Foster recorded and produced the track himself without the rest of the band. In my opinion, that alone should be recognized. However, I think Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse will win.

Best Pop Vocal Album

“21” – Adele

“The Lady Killer” – Cee Lo Green

“Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” – Bruno Mars

“Loud” – Rihanna

I think Lady Gaga will take this one.

Best Rap Album

“Watch The Throne” – Jay-Z and Kanye West

“The Carter IV” – Lil Wayne

“Lasers” – Lupe Fiasco

“Pink Friday” – Nicki Minaj

“My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” – Kanye West

How is this even a question? “Watch The Throne.” Next.

Best Rap Performance

“Look At Me Now” – Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Busta Rhymes

“Otis” – Jay-Z and Kanye West

“The Show Goes On” – Lupe Fiasco

“Moment 4 Life” – Nicki Minaj and Drake

“Black and Yellow” – Wiz Khalifa

If “Look At Me Now” doesn’t win, something is wrong with the world.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...