Blogs

Grammys to air on Sunday, my thoughts on the nominations

While waiting for the Oscars to come around, I realized that the Grammys are coming up soon. I thought I’d share my predictions and thoughts on this year’s nominations. You can watch the Grammys on Sunday at 8 p.m. on CBS. To check out the rest of the nominations, visit grammy.com/nominees.

Record of the Year

“Rolling in the Deep” – Adele

“Holocene” – Bon Iver

“Grenade” – Bruno Mars

“The Cave” – Mumford & Sons

“Firework” – Katy Perry

I don’t think there’s any competition in this category. Although I’m not a huge fan of Adele, she has had an incredible year. “Rolling in the Deep” was probably the biggest song of 2011. She’ll definitely take the Grammy.

Album of the Year

“21” – Adele

“Wasting Light” – Foo Fighters

“Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” – Bruno Mars

“Loud” – Rihanna

I think Katy Perry was snubbed. Her album was the biggest of the year. She broke several records and definitely deserved to be recognized. Anyway, I think Adele or Lady Gaga will win. However, among these nominees, Bruno Mars deserves it.

Song of the Year

“All of the Lights”

“The Cave”

“Grenade”

“Holocene”

“Rolling in the Deep”

“Rolling in the Deep” should win. Like I said before, it was the biggest song of 2011.

Best New Artist

The Band Perry

Bon Iver

J. Cole

Nicki Minaj

Skrillex

I think Bon Iver will win, but I think Nicki deserves it.

Best Pop Solo Performance

“Someone Like You” – Adele

“You and I” – Lady Gaga

“Grenade” – Bruno Mars

“Firework” – Katy Perry

“F***in’ Perfect” – Pink

Although “You and I” is my personal favorite from these nominees, I think Adele will win this one.

Best Pop Duo/Group Performance

“Body and Soul” – Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse

“Dearest” – The Black Keys

“Paradise” – Coldplay

“Pumped Up Kicks” – Foster the People

“Moves Like Jagger” – Maroon 5 and Christina Aguilera

Foster the People should win this; lead singer Mark Foster recorded and produced the track himself without the rest of the band. In my opinion, that alone should be recognized. However, I think Tony Bennett and Amy Winehouse will win.

Best Pop Vocal Album

“21” – Adele

“The Lady Killer” – Cee Lo Green

“Born This Way” – Lady Gaga

“Doo-Wops & Hooligans” – Bruno Mars

“Loud” – Rihanna

I think Lady Gaga will take this one.

Best Rap Album

“Watch The Throne” – Jay-Z and Kanye West

“The Carter IV” – Lil Wayne

“Lasers” – Lupe Fiasco

“Pink Friday” – Nicki Minaj

“My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy” – Kanye West

How is this even a question? “Watch The Throne.” Next.

Best Rap Performance

“Look At Me Now” – Chris Brown, Lil Wayne and Busta Rhymes

“Otis” – Jay-Z and Kanye West

“The Show Goes On” – Lupe Fiasco

“Moment 4 Life” – Nicki Minaj and Drake

“Black and Yellow” – Wiz Khalifa

If “Look At Me Now” doesn’t win, something is wrong with the world.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...