Sports Briefs 2-6

Football

Former UM defensive tackle Cortez Kennedy became the fifth Hurricane in program history to be voted into the NFL Hall of Fame on Saturday afternoon. Kennedy played 11 years in the league with the Seattle Seahawks, who drafted him with the No. 3 overall pick in the 1990 NFL Draft.  There, he was selected to eight Pro Bowls while registering 58 sacks and only missing nine games in his career.

As a Cane, Kennedy helped lead Miami to a Sugar Bowl victory over Alabama and the 1989 national title. He joins Jim Otto, Ted Hendricks, Jim Kelly and Michael Irvin in the Hall of Fame.

Track & Field

Sophomore Connor Adams broke his week-old record in the mile run over the weekend as Miami competed at the Virginia Tech Elite Meet. Adams finished the mile in 4:11.91, while fellow sophomore Luke Fontaine finished it in 4:18.28 and won his own heat. Senior Tarika Williams competed in the 60m sprints, finishing with a personal record of 7.29 seconds. Miami will travel to Ames next week to compete in the Iowa State Classic.

ACC

The ACC has released its new scheduling format to accommodate the two new additions to the conference: Pittsburgh and Syracuse. In football, Pittsburgh will join the Coastal division while Syracuse will be a member of the Atlantic division. Both teams will be crossover partners, much like Miami and FSU, meaning they will play each other every season. Beyond that, the conference will now have nine conference games per team, leaving room for only three non-conference games.

For men’s and women’s basketball, Syracuse and Pittsburgh will once again be primary partners, playing each other twice every year. The conference will also shift to an 18-game conference schedule beginning in 2012-2013. For olympic sports, each school will continue to play each other at least once, with the exception of baseball.

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at sports@themiamihurricane.com

Information compiled from hurricanesports.com

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

Zach Johnson is known for his fashion sense, and always has been since he led Miami Norland High to ...

Let’s fire everybody! And while we’re at it let’s fire the people who hired the people we just fired ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt, whose Hurricanes are in the midst of a four-game losing streak ...

The University of Miami’s interest in Clemson grad transfer quarterback Kelly Bryant apparently is m ...

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

A mobile museum coming to UM this week will showcase relics of the African-American experience. ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

2018 NCAA Tournament programs match up at 7 p.m. at Watsco Center. ...

Director of Track and Field/Cross Country Amy Deem announced the University of Miami's 2019 tra ...

The Miami women's basketball team moved up one spot to No. 24 nationally in this week's As ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball is a member of the 2018-19 Citizen Naismith ...

The Miami women's basketball team defeated Hartford, 75-62, Sunday afternoon at the Watsco Cent ...