Student Government launches new program

Student Government (SG) will be releasing the applications for the Design-A-Course pilot program on Monday.

The program was one of  Taking U Forward’s original campaign platforms. The idea stemmed from a similar program at the University of Virginia.

“You go back to the old mantra, ‘You learn best by teaching others,’” SG President Brandon Mitchell said.

These courses range from one to three credits and will be pass/fail only. Therefore, they do not count toward a student’s GPA. Professors will be responsible for grading the course, but students will be the ones teaching.

After completing the application to create a course, students must then select a full-time professor who will mentor them through the process of planning and teaching the class, which includes putting together a syllabus.

“A lot of this is going to depend heavily on the relationship the student has with the mentor,” SG press secretary Michael Piacentino said.

After the application is submitted, it must then go through a lengthy approval process.

The two main hurdles will be the Academic Affairs Committee of the SG Senate, and then the administrators of the schools and colleges under which the courses fall.

The SG Senate committee will determine whether there will be enough student interest in the proposed course. The schools and colleges will then review the course’s syllabus. At any point in this process, the syllabus may be returned to the student and mentor for changes.

The next step will also be the longest step: seeking approval from the curriculum committee of the Faculty Senate, who meet infrequently.

The final two approvals will have to come from Bill Greene, the senior vice provost and dean of undergraduate education, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the accreditation agency to which UM belongs.

“It is a slightly longer process than we originally thought,” Piacentino said. “All these approvals are to ensure that the classes will mean something for both the students taking the course and the students teaching them. It is also to make sure the courses align with the prestigious academic culture at the U.”

Currently, all students can apply to design a course in any of the schools and colleges.

If the course completes the approval process this semester, it will be available on myUM in the fall. It will be listed under the professor’s name but will mention in the description that it is taught by a student. Most of these classes will be small with less than 20 students.

Students, like senior Emily Packard, are excited about this program.

“There are a lot of students here who have interests that cross over multiple disciplines, and I think that this is a neat opportunity for a fusion of different departments,” Packard said. “I’m a neuroscience major but I’m also really interested in anthropology, and you could probably do some cool kind of mash of both of those things.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...