News Briefs 2/2

Israel Lecture

Rivka Carmi, president of Ben-Gurion University of the Negev in Israel, will give a lecture, “Reimagining the Ivory Tower: The Responsibility of Academia to Society.” Professor Carmi will be introduced by UM President Donna E. Shalala. The event will take place at the Sue and Leonard Miller Center for Contemporary Judaic Studies auditorium in the Merrick Building on Tuesday at 8 p.m.

Basketball Contest

Shoot some hoops at the three-point shooting contest at the Wellness Center on Monday. Registration is happening the day of the contest. To sign up, go to the outdoor basketball courts at the Wellness Center. The event is free for UM students. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...