Radcliffe shines in post-Potter film

Courtesy screencrave.com

Daniel Radcliffe and director James Watkins take the horror genre’s haunted house cliche to a new level in “The Woman in Black.”

The film, which is based on Susan Hill’s novel of the same title, stars Radcliffe as Arthur Kipps, a young lawyer who travels to a small village to straighten out the legal affairs of a recently deceased woman. However, as he searches through papers at the woman’s home, Kipps realizes he may not be alone.

To say that the film is effective as a thriller would be an understatement. I covered my eyes at least five times during the screening. I don’t know what was scarier: the film’s loud, nerve-wracking score or the chilling face of the resentful ghost haunting the village. Regardless, I’m sure both will haunt me for days.

I initially thought the plot would be dull since it has been overdone. However, Radcliffe manages to make a familiar character seem electrifying. His overnight stay at the haunted home was the most stressful sequence I’ve ever seen in a movie. His chemistry with Ciaran Hinds, who plays a landowner in the village, is also exceptional. Radcliffe’s jump from magic to horror will reassure critics and audiences that his fame didn’t end along with Harry Potter’s adventures.

Back to the film itself, the ending is genuinely surprising and highlights Watkins’ talent. He was able to reinvent the haunted house; the last horror flick that successfully depicted a haunting was 1980’s “The Shining.” Perhaps what made the thrills and scares so refreshing was their simplicity and transparency. You knew it was coming … you knew she was going to pop up behind Radcliffe, but somehow it was still terrifying.

I thought the horror subgenre of haunted houses was dead and gone, but this film proved me wrong.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos on Monday addressed the quarterback situation in this piece, culle ...

University of Florida big man Keith Stone, a 6-8 and 254-pound Deerfield Beach native, is heading cl ...

The Miami Hurricanes are primed to have another nice weekend in the NFL Draft, at least according to ...

UM offensive coordinator Dan Enos already has displayed a penchant for giving thoughtful, substantiv ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The Canes are ranked for the second consecutive week, cracking the top 25 in two different polls rel ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. have been selected to receive the University of Miami Sports Hall of ...

Miami Athletics has become one of the leaders nationally in developing its sports psychology departm ...

Images from the University of Miami women's tennis team's run to the ACC Championship semi ...