Radcliffe shines in post-Potter film

Courtesy screencrave.com

Daniel Radcliffe and director James Watkins take the horror genre’s haunted house cliche to a new level in “The Woman in Black.”

The film, which is based on Susan Hill’s novel of the same title, stars Radcliffe as Arthur Kipps, a young lawyer who travels to a small village to straighten out the legal affairs of a recently deceased woman. However, as he searches through papers at the woman’s home, Kipps realizes he may not be alone.

To say that the film is effective as a thriller would be an understatement. I covered my eyes at least five times during the screening. I don’t know what was scarier: the film’s loud, nerve-wracking score or the chilling face of the resentful ghost haunting the village. Regardless, I’m sure both will haunt me for days.

I initially thought the plot would be dull since it has been overdone. However, Radcliffe manages to make a familiar character seem electrifying. His overnight stay at the haunted home was the most stressful sequence I’ve ever seen in a movie. His chemistry with Ciaran Hinds, who plays a landowner in the village, is also exceptional. Radcliffe’s jump from magic to horror will reassure critics and audiences that his fame didn’t end along with Harry Potter’s adventures.

Back to the film itself, the ending is genuinely surprising and highlights Watkins’ talent. He was able to reinvent the haunted house; the last horror flick that successfully depicted a haunting was 1980’s “The Shining.” Perhaps what made the thrills and scares so refreshing was their simplicity and transparency. You knew it was coming … you knew she was going to pop up behind Radcliffe, but somehow it was still terrifying.

I thought the horror subgenre of haunted houses was dead and gone, but this film proved me wrong.

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...