Meditation can be a solution to stress, anxiety

If you close your eyes and slowly count to 10, you can get a glimpse of what it means to meditate.

For that short moment, you can shut out your worries and find a sense of renewal, something we all need from time to time.

I first tried meditation at the Wellness Center in December as a kick-start to finals week. Welcomed into a small room by an unassuming woman with a gentle voice, we sat there for one hour to let go of our thoughts.

I’m no meditation expert, but even just one session was a remarkably relieving experience.

I was ready to study during reading days and get through finals feeling refreshed. Everyone deals with problems in different ways.

Some people hold up thoughts inside and others might just go for a workout to take their minds off things.

I thought meditation seemed like the easy way out – avoiding real problems and shutting out the world. But it’s certainly better than releasing emotions through aggression or harboring them inside, and it’s not an easy way out at all.

The goal of meditation is to ultimately let go of outer thoughts so you can hear your inner thoughts.

My experience has helped me gain control of my thoughts and look at my problems in a new way.

Thoughts are just thoughts, nothing more than that. I don’t have to take my concerns and considerations so seriously. And if I want to look at a situation in a better way, it’s simply up to me.

I’ve found that things are never as bad as they seem at the moment. Half the time they’re not bad at all.

If you’re overwhelmed with schoolwork piling up at the start of the semester, experiencing new roommate drama or struggling with relationship problems, it may be time to find yourself.

Lyssa Goldberg is a freshman majoring in journalism and political science.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

UM coach Manny Diaz, who expressed disappointment in Miami’s South Florida recruiting efforts in the ...

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

At an annual luncheon, University of Miami scholarship recipients connect with the donors who help m ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

Michelle Atherley of the Miami track and field team made history on Thursday, as she dominated from ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 73-65 decision Thursday night to Virginia Te ...

Riding a four-game winning streak, the Canes head to Gainesville, Fla., for a three-game rivalry ser ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...

Check out the February edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...