News Briefs 1/26

Meditation classes
Take a break from classes and develop mental clarity through meditation. Lunthita Duthely, a follower of Sri Chinmoy’s teachings, will guide you through the session. It takes place Feb. 3 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. The class is free and open to the public. Reserve your spot by calling the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Humanities Lecture
The College of Arts & Sciences Center for Humanities present a lecture by Raquel Chang-Rodriguez, “Florida at the Crossroads/Five Hundred Years of Encounters, Conflicts and Exchanges.” Chang-Rodriguez is a distinguished professor of Spanish-American literature and culture, the founding editor of the prize-winning journal Colonial American Review and profesora honoraria at the Universidad Nacional de San Marcos. The event is open to the public and will be followed with a reception. It will take place on Feb. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Storer Auditorium.

Officials Training
Students who want to become officials for the intramural flag football league must attend training in the Wellness Center classrooms on Feb. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. Earn cash while working flexible hours. No experience is necessary. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Sameh Shoukry

Sameh Shoukry, Egypt’s ambassador to the United States, will be speaking on February 1 at 5 p.m. at the Bill Cosford Cinema. The lecture is free and open to all UM students and faculty. His presentation will be entitled  “Egypt’s Democracy and Arab Spring” and will be followed by an interview with Bradford R. McGuinn, a professor in the Department of Political Science and an expert on Middle Eastern Studies.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...