News Briefs 1/26

Meditation classes
Take a break from classes and develop mental clarity through meditation. Lunthita Duthely, a follower of Sri Chinmoy’s teachings, will guide you through the session. It takes place Feb. 3 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. The class is free and open to the public. Reserve your spot by calling the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Humanities Lecture
The College of Arts & Sciences Center for Humanities present a lecture by Raquel Chang-Rodriguez, “Florida at the Crossroads/Five Hundred Years of Encounters, Conflicts and Exchanges.” Chang-Rodriguez is a distinguished professor of Spanish-American literature and culture, the founding editor of the prize-winning journal Colonial American Review and profesora honoraria at the Universidad Nacional de San Marcos. The event is open to the public and will be followed with a reception. It will take place on Feb. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Storer Auditorium.

Officials Training
Students who want to become officials for the intramural flag football league must attend training in the Wellness Center classrooms on Feb. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. Earn cash while working flexible hours. No experience is necessary. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Sameh Shoukry

Sameh Shoukry, Egypt’s ambassador to the United States, will be speaking on February 1 at 5 p.m. at the Bill Cosford Cinema. The lecture is free and open to all UM students and faculty. His presentation will be entitled  “Egypt’s Democracy and Arab Spring” and will be followed by an interview with Bradford R. McGuinn, a professor in the Department of Political Science and an expert on Middle Eastern Studies.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...