News Briefs 1/26

Meditation classes
Take a break from classes and develop mental clarity through meditation. Lunthita Duthely, a follower of Sri Chinmoy’s teachings, will guide you through the session. It takes place Feb. 3 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. The class is free and open to the public. Reserve your spot by calling the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Humanities Lecture
The College of Arts & Sciences Center for Humanities present a lecture by Raquel Chang-Rodriguez, “Florida at the Crossroads/Five Hundred Years of Encounters, Conflicts and Exchanges.” Chang-Rodriguez is a distinguished professor of Spanish-American literature and culture, the founding editor of the prize-winning journal Colonial American Review and profesora honoraria at the Universidad Nacional de San Marcos. The event is open to the public and will be followed with a reception. It will take place on Feb. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Storer Auditorium.

Officials Training
Students who want to become officials for the intramural flag football league must attend training in the Wellness Center classrooms on Feb. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. Earn cash while working flexible hours. No experience is necessary. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Sameh Shoukry

Sameh Shoukry, Egypt’s ambassador to the United States, will be speaking on February 1 at 5 p.m. at the Bill Cosford Cinema. The lecture is free and open to all UM students and faculty. His presentation will be entitled  “Egypt’s Democracy and Arab Spring” and will be followed by an interview with Bradford R. McGuinn, a professor in the Department of Political Science and an expert on Middle Eastern Studies.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...