News Briefs 1/26

Meditation classes
Take a break from classes and develop mental clarity through meditation. Lunthita Duthely, a follower of Sri Chinmoy’s teachings, will guide you through the session. It takes place Feb. 3 from 7:30 to 9 p.m. The class is free and open to the public. Reserve your spot by calling the Wellness Suite at 305-284-5433.

Humanities Lecture
The College of Arts & Sciences Center for Humanities present a lecture by Raquel Chang-Rodriguez, “Florida at the Crossroads/Five Hundred Years of Encounters, Conflicts and Exchanges.” Chang-Rodriguez is a distinguished professor of Spanish-American literature and culture, the founding editor of the prize-winning journal Colonial American Review and profesora honoraria at the Universidad Nacional de San Marcos. The event is open to the public and will be followed with a reception. It will take place on Feb. 9 from 7 to 8 p.m. at the Storer Auditorium.

Officials Training
Students who want to become officials for the intramural flag football league must attend training in the Wellness Center classrooms on Feb. 2 from 6 to 9 p.m. Earn cash while working flexible hours. No experience is necessary. For more information, call the intramural hotline at 305-284-8501 or email tsoria@miami.edu.

Sameh Shoukry

Sameh Shoukry, Egypt’s ambassador to the United States, will be speaking on February 1 at 5 p.m. at the Bill Cosford Cinema. The lecture is free and open to all UM students and faculty. His presentation will be entitled  “Egypt’s Democracy and Arab Spring” and will be followed by an interview with Bradford R. McGuinn, a professor in the Department of Political Science and an expert on Middle Eastern Studies.

Lyssa Goldberg may be contacted at lgoldberg@themiamihurricane.com.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

Talula Thibault, a senior at the University of Miami and chair of the ECO Agency, will participate i ...

Overturning a widely accepted fact, University of Miami researchers discover that fruit flies hate b ...

The Miami Business School this fall launched a unique and forward-thinking Master of Science in Sust ...

The United States can handle its growing debt a lot better than other countries, such as Argentina, ...

A University of Miami materials engineer is developing a method that will help the aviation industry ...

Miami evened its record with a win over Central Michigan. Now, a quarter of the way through the seas ...

The Hurricanes forced three turnovers and held off a hard-fought effort from Central Michigan, defea ...

Daevenia Achong of the Miami women's tennis team won a pair of matches Sunday to reach the Milw ...

The Hurricanes hung on for a 17-12 win over Central Michigan, but acknowledged there are things they ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up action Sunday at the Miami Fall Invite, posting a 3-1 ...