Blogs

Oscar nominations released this week, predictions for best picture

So the Oscars are approaching and the nominations will be announced this week. There were many talented actors who shined in great films in 2011: Ryan Gosling in “Ides of March,” Rooney Mara in “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,” Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy in “Bridesmaids,” Emma Stone in “The Help” and Jonah Hill in his first serious film, “Moneyball,” just to name a few. The Academy will most likely nominate 10 of last year’s box office successes. Here are my predictions:

1) “Bridesmaids”

Although the Golden Globes didn’t pay much attention to the brilliant women in this movie, I’m hoping the Academy does. Kristen Wiig’s hilarious performing and incredible writing deserve a few nominations.

2) “The Help”

Emma Stone always plays the awkwardly funny girl. I’m glad she finally stepped out of her comfort zone and tried something different. Also, the movie itself is incredible.

3) “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”

This film’s success is undeniable and it should be acknowledged with a nomination.

4) “The Artist”

A silent film in 2011 … they knew they’d get nominated for an Oscar.

5) “The Descendants”

Although George Clooney and the film itself are overrated, the Academy will most likely nominate both.

6) “Midnight in Paris”

Rachel McAdams and Owen Wilson shared incredible chemistry under Woody Allen’s direction. It was one of the most memorable films of 2011, in my opinion.

7) “Iron Lady”

Meryl Streep. Enough said.

8) “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2”

I’m not a Potterhead myself, but I do have to acknowledge the series’ success. The last chapter of Harry’s adventures should definitely be nominated.

9) “Hugo”

Lots of hoopla over this film. The Academy will probably nominate the 3D adventure.

10) “Drive” or “Ides of March” or “Crazy, Stupid, Love.”

Ryan Gosling had an incredible year and hopefully the Academy realizes they should nominate one of his films. Gosling really showed he could mix it up by starring in an action thriller, a political thriller and a romantic comedy in just one year. Plus, Steve Carell was hysterical in “Crazy, Stupid, Love.”

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...