Blogs

Oscar nominations released this week, predictions for best picture

So the Oscars are approaching and the nominations will be announced this week. There were many talented actors who shined in great films in 2011: Ryan Gosling in “Ides of March,” Rooney Mara in “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo,” Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy in “Bridesmaids,” Emma Stone in “The Help” and Jonah Hill in his first serious film, “Moneyball,” just to name a few. The Academy will most likely nominate 10 of last year’s box office successes. Here are my predictions:

1) “Bridesmaids”

Although the Golden Globes didn’t pay much attention to the brilliant women in this movie, I’m hoping the Academy does. Kristen Wiig’s hilarious performing and incredible writing deserve a few nominations.

2) “The Help”

Emma Stone always plays the awkwardly funny girl. I’m glad she finally stepped out of her comfort zone and tried something different. Also, the movie itself is incredible.

3) “The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo”

This film’s success is undeniable and it should be acknowledged with a nomination.

4) “The Artist”

A silent film in 2011 … they knew they’d get nominated for an Oscar.

5) “The Descendants”

Although George Clooney and the film itself are overrated, the Academy will most likely nominate both.

6) “Midnight in Paris”

Rachel McAdams and Owen Wilson shared incredible chemistry under Woody Allen’s direction. It was one of the most memorable films of 2011, in my opinion.

7) “Iron Lady”

Meryl Streep. Enough said.

8) “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2”

I’m not a Potterhead myself, but I do have to acknowledge the series’ success. The last chapter of Harry’s adventures should definitely be nominated.

9) “Hugo”

Lots of hoopla over this film. The Academy will probably nominate the 3D adventure.

10) “Drive” or “Ides of March” or “Crazy, Stupid, Love.”

Ryan Gosling had an incredible year and hopefully the Academy realizes they should nominate one of his films. Gosling really showed he could mix it up by starring in an action thriller, a political thriller and a romantic comedy in just one year. Plus, Steve Carell was hysterical in “Crazy, Stupid, Love.”

Nicky Diaz

Copy Chief

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...