Looking forward to intriguing Olympics

It’s 2012, which means the London Olympics are right around the corner. This will be London’s third time hosting the summer games, which only come around once every four years.

As a Londoner myself, I went home over the break and noticed that the city has been dramatically revamped and improved for the Olympics.

There are going to be athletes from 204 different nations competing in 26 sports. There may even be some University of Miami students competing in the games. No matter where you’re going to be in the world this summer, the Olympic games are a big deal.

Inevitably one of the most talked about and anticipated events to take place in London this year is the men’s 100-meter sprint, where the world eagerly awaits to see if the fastest man alive, Usain Bolt, can top his incredible world record of 9.58 seconds.

More than a million people have requested tickets for the men’s 100-meter final. At the moment, reports claim that it’s going to cost a minimum of 27,000 British pounds, which is equivalent to more than $40,000 for a seat.

It’s safe to say that watching Bolt this summer, as he reportedly attempts to win four gold medals, is going to be an iconic moment that is not to be missed.

The Olympics have been the backdrop for many historic moments over the years, from the 1936 four gold medal win by African-American athlete Jesse Owens in Berlin, to the unforgettable race in 1992 when Derek Redmond’s father ran on to the track to help his son cross the finish line after the British athlete tore his hamstring.

As the Olympics approach, I eagerly await July 2012 and hope that London will live up to its expectations.

Emma Bowman is a sophomore  majoring in mathematics. 

Emma Bowman

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...