Looking forward to intriguing Olympics

It’s 2012, which means the London Olympics are right around the corner. This will be London’s third time hosting the summer games, which only come around once every four years.

As a Londoner myself, I went home over the break and noticed that the city has been dramatically revamped and improved for the Olympics.

There are going to be athletes from 204 different nations competing in 26 sports. There may even be some University of Miami students competing in the games. No matter where you’re going to be in the world this summer, the Olympic games are a big deal.

Inevitably one of the most talked about and anticipated events to take place in London this year is the men’s 100-meter sprint, where the world eagerly awaits to see if the fastest man alive, Usain Bolt, can top his incredible world record of 9.58 seconds.

More than a million people have requested tickets for the men’s 100-meter final. At the moment, reports claim that it’s going to cost a minimum of 27,000 British pounds, which is equivalent to more than $40,000 for a seat.

It’s safe to say that watching Bolt this summer, as he reportedly attempts to win four gold medals, is going to be an iconic moment that is not to be missed.

The Olympics have been the backdrop for many historic moments over the years, from the 1936 four gold medal win by African-American athlete Jesse Owens in Berlin, to the unforgettable race in 1992 when Derek Redmond’s father ran on to the track to help his son cross the finish line after the British athlete tore his hamstring.

As the Olympics approach, I eagerly await July 2012 and hope that London will live up to its expectations.

Emma Bowman is a sophomore  majoring in mathematics. 

Emma Bowman

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...