Looking forward to intriguing Olympics

It’s 2012, which means the London Olympics are right around the corner. This will be London’s third time hosting the summer games, which only come around once every four years.

As a Londoner myself, I went home over the break and noticed that the city has been dramatically revamped and improved for the Olympics.

There are going to be athletes from 204 different nations competing in 26 sports. There may even be some University of Miami students competing in the games. No matter where you’re going to be in the world this summer, the Olympic games are a big deal.

Inevitably one of the most talked about and anticipated events to take place in London this year is the men’s 100-meter sprint, where the world eagerly awaits to see if the fastest man alive, Usain Bolt, can top his incredible world record of 9.58 seconds.

More than a million people have requested tickets for the men’s 100-meter final. At the moment, reports claim that it’s going to cost a minimum of 27,000 British pounds, which is equivalent to more than $40,000 for a seat.

It’s safe to say that watching Bolt this summer, as he reportedly attempts to win four gold medals, is going to be an iconic moment that is not to be missed.

The Olympics have been the backdrop for many historic moments over the years, from the 1936 four gold medal win by African-American athlete Jesse Owens in Berlin, to the unforgettable race in 1992 when Derek Redmond’s father ran on to the track to help his son cross the finish line after the British athlete tore his hamstring.

As the Olympics approach, I eagerly await July 2012 and hope that London will live up to its expectations.

Emma Bowman is a sophomore  majoring in mathematics. 

Emma Bowman

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...