Foreign, indie films don’t disappoint

Some days there isn’t a single movie out in theaters that seems remotely entertaining. Netflix’s instant streaming selection leaves much to be desired. Blockbuster is disappearing, and Red Box and Blockbuster box rentals at grocery stores have even slimmer pickings.
So this week, why not check out some of the indie and foreign films playing in smaller theaters? If not, you might just get roped into watching “Alvin and the Chipmunks.”

“Tomboy”
“Tomboy” is a film about a young girl who wants to be a boy. The film explores gender identity as 10-year-old Laure, who is new to the neighborhood, passes herself off as Michael to her new acquaintances.
The film is screening at the Cosford Cinema starting Thursday at 7 p.m. The first screening will be followed by an audience discussion featuring Steve Butterman, UM’s director of women and gender studies, and Geme Perez-Sanchez, associate professor in the department of modern languages and literature.

“The Artist”
The Golden-Globe winning silent film is a French production, but don’t worry about subtitles – there is no sound, after all. George is in love with Peppy, but does not want to cheat on his wife. The two are actors, and the film follows the stories of their careers as George becomes a has-been and Peppy becomes a star.
It’s not easy to engage an audience without words, but “The Artist” is reminiscent of the era of Charlie Chaplin, and black and white films – it finds a way to keep you hooked.

“Le Quattro Volte” (The Four Times)
This Italian film is deep without being melodramatic. The Cannes Film Festival winner explores the cycles of life: mineral, plant, animal and human.
Director Michelangelo Frammartino follows a charcoal kiln, a tree, a goat and a herder in a film that’s scenery is as beautiful as the message behind it.
The film opens Saturday at the Miami Beach Cinematheque and runs through Wednesday. For more information, visit miamibeachfilmsociety.com.

“Splinters”
A documentary on indigenous surfing in Papau New Guinea sounds like a hard sell, but the story is a fascinating one. In the 1980s, an Australian pilot left a surf board behind and in the years since the sport has exploded.
The film follows the top surfers in the country as they compete to be on the national surfing team, showing the audience just how high the stakes are.
“Splinters” opens at O Cinema on Thursday and runs through Sunday. Student tickets are $9. Visit o-cinema.org for showtimes.

Margaux Herrera

EDGE Editor

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...