Social media changes the meaning of school vacations

Winter break for our generation is drastically different from how our parents once spent theirs. Technology has given us the luxury of smart phones, netbooks, tablets and more while our parents had bulky desktop computers, if that, beepers and a land line to talk.

With new technology also came the fad of social networks. These networks have forever changed the face of vacations for college students. When you go to college, chances are the people you call your close friends aren’t going to live close by. Some may live a few hours away while others live in another state or halfway around the world.

For our parents, this was a problem because communication wasn’t easy. They would play the waiting game until school started and catch up on what happened with their friends during their month apart. Winter break for them meant a vacation spent paying attention to their families or hanging out with their old high school friends. Our generation can do all that while keeping in touch with new friends.

Social media has eliminated the concept of space. With Skype, FaceTime, Tango and other similar applications, a video call to friends miles away can be done at the touch of a button. Facebook is another way to keep track of your friends because chances are that they are going to post pictures or status updates about where they are, who they’re with, and what they’re doing. If someone does something drastic like getting a tattoo or changing their hair color, you can find out via social media in seconds rather than it coming as a surprise when you get back to school. Twitter is another new social media outlet that allows you to see what your friends are thinking in a nutshell. It is the one social network that hasn’t been invaded by our parents, in most cases, and we all have those friends who tweet every few minutes so their lives are open books.

Some parents feel that the technology and social media we have now takes away from the whole meaning of vacation and the fun of seeing everyone after a month of being apart. Yes, they may have a valid point, but at least social media allows us to stay connected.

Taylor Duckett is a freshman majoring in chemistry.

Taylor Duckett

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...