Club/Intramural Sports, Sports

Make a move with new options

Looking for an opportunity to show off your skills, but not quite on an NCAA level?

The Wellness Center may have the answer. It offers several ways for students to get involved in sports, for those who are trying to learn one for the first time and for experienced veterans looking for a new challenge. The Wellness Center offers intramural competitions as well as several different club sports.

Intramural events are designed for students who are looking for a short-term, competitive season where they can gather up a group of friends and take on the best UM has to offer. The start times differ for each league, but they all last about a month.

“It’s a good stress reliever outside of the classroom, good form of exercise,” said Tom Soria, the assistant director of intramurals and special events at the Wellness Center. “It’s also a good time to go out and create new friends.”

League events include traditional spring sports such as basketball, flag football and softball, as well as wallyball, a hybrid sport that incorporates rules from volleyball and racquetball. There are also special events that students may compete in, several of which only last a day.

Events include competitions such as softball and table tennis, as well as a bench press competition and the NFL Combine Challenge, where students try out the tests that National Football League draft prospects undergo. After competing in the shuttle run, a three-cone drill and several skills tests, students can compare their stats to the actual NFL combine results later on.

“The idea actually came to us from [Student Government President] Brandon Mitchell. It turned out to be a great idea,” Soria said. “Last year was our first year of scheduling it. It was a pretty cool event and we’re hoping to get an even bigger turnout this year.”

Unlike last semester, where team leaders were required to pass a quiz on Blackboard before their team was eligible to play, they now must attend a captains meeting at the Wellness Center prior to the start of the event. A team representative must attend the meeting if the team wants to be scheduled.

For students looking for a more recreational way to enjoy their favorite sport or seeking to challenge other schools, there are also a variety of club sports offered on campus. There are more than 31 different clubs, which include traditional favorites such as sailing, volleyball and rugby, as well as more unique groups like rock climbing and muggle quidditch. A few other sports may be added, including ballroom dancing, tai chi, boxing and weight lifting.

“Many students join a club sport to meet new people or try a new activity. It’s a good way to get involved and try new things like going scuba diving,” said Rhonda DuBord, the associate director of recreation programs at the Wellness Center.

Many clubs also go out and compete in tournaments against other schools around the country. Last year, the roller hockey team won a national championship and will be honored by the Florida Panthers during a home game later on in the year.

To sign up for intramurals or for more information, visit the membership office located on the second floor of the Wellness Center.

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...