Thanksgiving should not be ignored

It’s time to take Thanksgiving back. Year after year, it seems like there’s a glitch in the calendar that sends us directly from Halloween to Christmas.

Sometimes there’s no space in between to breathe. As I was making a last-minute run to Walgreens to pick up some Halloween candy, I looked around at all the inflatable Santas and light-up reindeer that greeted me.

We can’t even wait until Halloween is over? What about Thanksgiving, the all-American holiday when friends and families get together to eat until their pants don’t fit and watch a football game?

But perhaps that is where the problem lies. Thanksgiving is all about family and being grateful for what you have.

There are no Thanksgiving cards, no cornucopia carols, no places to take a picture with a mall turkey, and we all know grandma didn’t get run over by a pilgrim.

The most commercial aspect would be those cute, overly-advertised pilgrim salt and pepper shakers. Even the grandest event of the day, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, ends with jolly old Saint Nick ushering in the Christmas season, making Thanksgiving seem obsolete.

Alas, corporations skip the holiday altogether since there isn’t any money to make. How could we let this happen?

Starbucks already has snowflakes on their cups and the malls are putting up Christmas trees. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but give Thanksgiving its time to shine.

Let’s take a breath before plunging into the winter madness, take a step back, and be thankful for everything we have and all the people we appreciate.

Don’t let gifts and visions of sugar plums cloud your mind and turn you into a raging gift-buying lunatic. Take the time to go home, see your family and tell them how much you love them.

Take part in a holiday not filled with gifts or wish lists, but one that focuses on family and enjoying what you do have. Then there’s just one thing left to do: Stuff yourself fatter than any bird on the table. Eat up and enjoy this noble holiday.

Ashley Martinez is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

University of Miami experts discuss the potential mental health impacts in the Bahamas following Hur ...

The Fall Lecture series explores topics on accelerated resolution therapy treatments, pain managemen ...

As the Bahamas urges tourists to visit its islands unaffected by Hurricane Dorian, University of Mia ...

Katya Saunders, president of the Bahamian Students Association, is leading a relief effort to help h ...

The uniqueness of the University of Miami—as a place to live, learn, share knowledge, and innovate—s ...

Hurricanes standouts Mykea Gray and Beatrice Mompremier have the opportunity of a lifetime this week ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba, the reigning NCAA singles champion, opens the 2019-20 season ranked second i ...

This weekend, Canes men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric became a U.S. Citizen – and reflected on th ...

The Hurricanes opened their five-game homestand on Saturday with a big win over Bethune-Cookman and, ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams was named ACC Rookie of the Week a ...