Thanksgiving should not be ignored

It’s time to take Thanksgiving back. Year after year, it seems like there’s a glitch in the calendar that sends us directly from Halloween to Christmas.

Sometimes there’s no space in between to breathe. As I was making a last-minute run to Walgreens to pick up some Halloween candy, I looked around at all the inflatable Santas and light-up reindeer that greeted me.

We can’t even wait until Halloween is over? What about Thanksgiving, the all-American holiday when friends and families get together to eat until their pants don’t fit and watch a football game?

But perhaps that is where the problem lies. Thanksgiving is all about family and being grateful for what you have.

There are no Thanksgiving cards, no cornucopia carols, no places to take a picture with a mall turkey, and we all know grandma didn’t get run over by a pilgrim.

The most commercial aspect would be those cute, overly-advertised pilgrim salt and pepper shakers. Even the grandest event of the day, the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade, ends with jolly old Saint Nick ushering in the Christmas season, making Thanksgiving seem obsolete.

Alas, corporations skip the holiday altogether since there isn’t any money to make. How could we let this happen?

Starbucks already has snowflakes on their cups and the malls are putting up Christmas trees. Don’t get me wrong, I love Christmas, but give Thanksgiving its time to shine.

Let’s take a breath before plunging into the winter madness, take a step back, and be thankful for everything we have and all the people we appreciate.

Don’t let gifts and visions of sugar plums cloud your mind and turn you into a raging gift-buying lunatic. Take the time to go home, see your family and tell them how much you love them.

Take part in a holiday not filled with gifts or wish lists, but one that focuses on family and enjoying what you do have. Then there’s just one thing left to do: Stuff yourself fatter than any bird on the table. Eat up and enjoy this noble holiday.

Ashley Martinez is a freshman majoring in journalism.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

The Frost Chopin Festival and Academy at the University of Miami provides unparalleled experiences f ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...