Students teach, learn about marine life at conservation event

Mykayla Brady, 9, looks at plankton through a microscope at the "Marine World Magnification" stand. Monica Herndon//The Miami Hurricane

Ocean Kids brought students from low-income elementary schools together to learn about ocean conservation at the University of Miami on Saturday.

The fourth annual event was hosted by the Future Interests in Nature and the Sea Foundation, and the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS).

UM President Donna E. Shalala spoke to the children at the opening ceremony. Shalala told the children to embrace this opportunity by opening up their minds to the sciences. She also stressed the importance of attending college.

“Programs that are geared toward kids are really important for creating worldly, conscious citizens in the long run,” said senior Elise Keister, president of the UM Aquarium Club, who has been involved with Ocean Kids for two years.

Fifteen hands-on learning stations and touch tanks addressed topics like pollution, overfishing, coral reefs and marine mammal rescue. Students from various marine and atmospheric organizations coordinated the lesson plans for the event.

The children traveled through each station, getting their Ocean Kids passport stamped with national flag stickers after completing each activity.

One station, Touchable Tides, allowed the children to touch sea urchins, sea cucumbers, sea slugs and hermit crabs.

“I wanted to use this event to spread the importance of the ocean,” said sophomore Jeremy Whitehead, who wanted to apply his skills outside of the classroom.

Ocean Kids is now compiling a manual on how to recreate every station, so that it can be hosted around the world. Last year, the Clinton Global Initiative, a non-partisan organization that allows global leaders to devise and implement solutions to pressing problems, provided funds that would allow Ocean Kids to be held in Kuwait and the Bahamas.

Lyssa Goldberg

Lyssa Goldberg is online editor of The Miami Hurricane. She is a senior majoring in journalism and political science with a minor in math. She has interned at Mashable and the Miami New Times, and her work has also been featured in The Huffington Post.

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...