Staff editorial 11/21: ‘Tis the season to shop for housing

Ever since the national economy took a dive, it’s been no secret that the real estate market is in dire straits. The foreclosure rate in Florida this year is one in every 396 households, sixth highest in the nation, according to CNBC.

But the fact that there is now a buyer’s market could mean good things for students looking for off-campus housing.

The search for a new home between semesters is an issue that plagues a good portion of the student body at the University of Miami. Everything from roommate problems to studying abroad could leave a student searching for a place to live. Fortunately, it’s a smart time to be looking for a new home. Prices are falling and the real estate market in Miami is the strongest it’s been in five years, according to a report by Realty Times.

UM’s Department of Housing and Residential Life has many resources to assist in the quest for off-campus housing. Among them is a housing database that enables users to search for availabilities by neighborhood, price, proximity to UM and a number of other variables. There is also an apartment complex listing that compiles the policies of different buildings. A listing of roommate-finding resources is available, as is a guide on how to search for housing and other pertinent information for renting a home.

While looking for a home off campus, it is important to remember to exercise caution and be safe. Craigslist is notorious for a lack of integrity from some of its users, and students should be careful when using it – and similar sites – when looking for a roommate.

Looking for off-campus housing can be a daunting challenge, but it doesn’t have to be. Help is available if you seek it out and it can make the process less stressful. If you’re planning to move off campus, now is as good a time as ever to make the leap.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...