New degree offered in nursing school

In light of the growing need for health professionals, the University of Miami’s School of Nursing and Health Studies (SONHS) started the first bachelor of science in public health program in South Florida.

Recently accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the major will help students understand disease prevention and the general wellness of world populations. They will also study biological, environmental, psychological and other factors that affect human health.

SONHS Dean Nilda Peragallo worked with Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas LeBlanc to develop the program in time for the fall 2012 semester.

“The new degree will open a world of new possibilities for our students to get hands-on experience to explore issues affecting public health in not only the United States, but also globally,” Peragallo said in a press release. “There is a skyrocketing demand for a well-trained public health workforce to tackle the 21st century’s most pressing health concerns, such as HIV/AIDS, obesity, terrorism and reemerging infectious diseases.”

The degree is normally completed at the graduate level, and allows aspiring nurses to enhance their clinical and research skills to face global health concerns.

The opportunities the degree provides will also lead to a variety of career options and goals.

“The Public Health degree will provide these individuals the opportunity to obtain careers in health education, prevention, health promotion and global health,” said Rosemary Hall, an associate professor at the SONHS.

Complementing a standard nursing track, the new major includes specific courses in epidemiology, communicable disease and health promotion and prevention.

One particular course, however, offers a unique perspective on public health. The class  on field experience in community health will allow students to learn about servicing local and global communities, and foster UM’s mission of service.

With these benefits, students like sophomore Susana Guerrero find the BSPH to be an important asset for any nursing student.

“If I decide to declare the major, it will span my possibilities and opportunities,” Guerrero said. “It will also help me gain knowledge and experiences and develop my skills.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...