New degree offered in nursing school

In light of the growing need for health professionals, the University of Miami’s School of Nursing and Health Studies (SONHS) started the first bachelor of science in public health program in South Florida.

Recently accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the major will help students understand disease prevention and the general wellness of world populations. They will also study biological, environmental, psychological and other factors that affect human health.

SONHS Dean Nilda Peragallo worked with Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas LeBlanc to develop the program in time for the fall 2012 semester.

“The new degree will open a world of new possibilities for our students to get hands-on experience to explore issues affecting public health in not only the United States, but also globally,” Peragallo said in a press release. “There is a skyrocketing demand for a well-trained public health workforce to tackle the 21st century’s most pressing health concerns, such as HIV/AIDS, obesity, terrorism and reemerging infectious diseases.”

The degree is normally completed at the graduate level, and allows aspiring nurses to enhance their clinical and research skills to face global health concerns.

The opportunities the degree provides will also lead to a variety of career options and goals.

“The Public Health degree will provide these individuals the opportunity to obtain careers in health education, prevention, health promotion and global health,” said Rosemary Hall, an associate professor at the SONHS.

Complementing a standard nursing track, the new major includes specific courses in epidemiology, communicable disease and health promotion and prevention.

One particular course, however, offers a unique perspective on public health. The class  on field experience in community health will allow students to learn about servicing local and global communities, and foster UM’s mission of service.

With these benefits, students like sophomore Susana Guerrero find the BSPH to be an important asset for any nursing student.

“If I decide to declare the major, it will span my possibilities and opportunities,” Guerrero said. “It will also help me gain knowledge and experiences and develop my skills.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...