New degree offered in nursing school

In light of the growing need for health professionals, the University of Miami’s School of Nursing and Health Studies (SONHS) started the first bachelor of science in public health program in South Florida.

Recently accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, the major will help students understand disease prevention and the general wellness of world populations. They will also study biological, environmental, psychological and other factors that affect human health.

SONHS Dean Nilda Peragallo worked with Executive Vice President and Provost Thomas LeBlanc to develop the program in time for the fall 2012 semester.

“The new degree will open a world of new possibilities for our students to get hands-on experience to explore issues affecting public health in not only the United States, but also globally,” Peragallo said in a press release. “There is a skyrocketing demand for a well-trained public health workforce to tackle the 21st century’s most pressing health concerns, such as HIV/AIDS, obesity, terrorism and reemerging infectious diseases.”

The degree is normally completed at the graduate level, and allows aspiring nurses to enhance their clinical and research skills to face global health concerns.

The opportunities the degree provides will also lead to a variety of career options and goals.

“The Public Health degree will provide these individuals the opportunity to obtain careers in health education, prevention, health promotion and global health,” said Rosemary Hall, an associate professor at the SONHS.

Complementing a standard nursing track, the new major includes specific courses in epidemiology, communicable disease and health promotion and prevention.

One particular course, however, offers a unique perspective on public health. The class  on field experience in community health will allow students to learn about servicing local and global communities, and foster UM’s mission of service.

With these benefits, students like sophomore Susana Guerrero find the BSPH to be an important asset for any nursing student.

“If I decide to declare the major, it will span my possibilities and opportunities,” Guerrero said. “It will also help me gain knowledge and experiences and develop my skills.”

Alexander Gonzalez

Assistant Editor

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...