Basketball, Sports

Canes regain their form

Junior Guard Stefanie Yderstrom prepares to shoot the ball in during the game against Prarie View A&M on Thursday. University of Miami won 107-26. Zach Beeker//The Miami Hurricane

It was very fitting that on a night when the Miami Hurricanes were presented with their 2010-2011 ACC championship rings, they returned to dominate – and beat Prairie View A&M 107-26.

“I thought that was an incredible performance by our bench,” head coach Katie Meier said after the game. “But I think it was absolutely additionally a statement from our starters. They played very angry. They played very determined. They played with a ton of confidence, but with an absolute focus on fixing what we didn’t do well in Tennessee.”

One of those starters was senior guard Shenise Johnson, who once again delivered a performance of All-American caliber, scoring 25 points in 20 minutes, snagging six boards, dishing out seven assists and recording seven steals. Johnson, who went 5 for 5 from beyond the arc, admitted after the game that she was playing with a bit of a chip on her shoulder.

“I’m disappointed in my effort at Tennessee. I really wanted to just focus on hitting shots,” she said. “I feel like I didn’t come through for my team at Tennessee at all. I wanted to instill confidence back into my team that they had in me.”

With the loss at Tennessee still fresh in their minds, the Canes put on a clinic Thursday night at the BankUnited Center, starting on a 19-0 run and keeping the visiting Panthers without a field goal in the first 10 minutes.

Miami was in control and in the lead throughout the whole contest, shooting 10 for 17 from three-point range and forcing a whopping 41 turnovers. According to Meier, the improvement from beyond the arc was especially important for the Canes.

“I was probably most pleased with our three,” she said.

“I thought we weren’t shooting a very good percentage from the three coming into the game as a team. I saw that this morning and I was shocked, because we’re a very good three-point shooting team, but I think we were very low so I was really happy to see the 10 for 17.”

The Hurricanes’ convincing win against a Prairie View A&M team that beat Rice early in the season set a UM record for margin of victory and extended the team’s record-breaking home winning streak to 26.
Meier was happy to see her team bounce back from a tough loss just 48 hours earlier, and saw it as a great learning experience for many of her younger players.

“The upperclassmen were teaching the bench tonight,” she said. “They were like, ‘this is how we respond to a loss, this is the defense we’re supposed to play, this is the confidence we’re supposed to play with.’ [It] doesn’t matter who the opponent is, Miami is Miami. Every time we take the court we need to be Miami.”

Next up for the Canes is the Great Alaska Shootout, where they will take on Alaska-Anchorage on Wednesday.

Patrick Riley

Contributing Sports Writer

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

Yvette Soler, B.M. ’96, better known as Tigrilla Gardenia, connects her music engineering background ...

Preservation Week, from April 21 to April 27, is focused on highlighting the importance of learning ...

There are numerous ways to connect with the University of Miami during the two-day tech conference o ...

A symbol of both French heritage and Catholicism, Paris’ 850-year-old gothic cathedral was gutted by ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

Nearly 10,000 fans got a glimpse of things to come at Camping World Stadium ...

It took much longer than anticipated, but the No. 23 Miami Hurricanes outlasted No. 8 Louisville, 16 ...

Making its fourth straight appearance in the ACC Championship semifinals, the fifth-seeded and No. 2 ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team knocked off fourth-seeded and nint ...

Miami was leading, 10-3, when umpires suspended play at 7 p.m. on Friday. ...