Pi Kappa Alpha suspended for nine violations

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, was suspended as a recognized student organization on Wednesday following an investigation by the Dean of Students Office.

“We are all very upset over the entire situation,” Pike President Harrison Potak said. “The chapter has had to take a step back and truly realize the repercussions of our actions.”

Two incidents involving Pike prompted the investigation. The first was an unauthorized, off-campus party during Labor Day weekend. The second is the initiation of ineligible members during the fraternity’s spring 2011 semester.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook defines a student who is eligible for initiation as one who has a cumulative GPA of 2.50 and is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during both pre-initiation and the time of initiation. Pike was charged with nine violations of university policy and pled “responsible to all charges,” according to information released by the Dean of Students Office on Wednesday.

As a result, Pike is no longer a recognized student organization for the remainder of the school year. Next fall, however, the chapter will begin a probationary period during which they will be required to participate in educational programs.

If all the mandatory requirements are met, Pike will be reinstated in the spring of 2014.

Despite the suspension, Pike will remain a member of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), but will not be able to participate in any IFC events.

“We will help them in any way we can as they slowly get back into good standing with the school,” said Brenden Kollar, president of IFC.

According to Potak, Pike is eager to get reinstated as a student organization.

“We are making the necessary changes to move Pi Kappa Alpha in the right direction,” he said. “The entire experience has allowed us to better appreciate our brotherhood and strengthen the bonds that our fraternity is founded on.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...