Pi Kappa Alpha suspended for nine violations

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, was suspended as a recognized student organization on Wednesday following an investigation by the Dean of Students Office.

“We are all very upset over the entire situation,” Pike President Harrison Potak said. “The chapter has had to take a step back and truly realize the repercussions of our actions.”

Two incidents involving Pike prompted the investigation. The first was an unauthorized, off-campus party during Labor Day weekend. The second is the initiation of ineligible members during the fraternity’s spring 2011 semester.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook defines a student who is eligible for initiation as one who has a cumulative GPA of 2.50 and is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during both pre-initiation and the time of initiation. Pike was charged with nine violations of university policy and pled “responsible to all charges,” according to information released by the Dean of Students Office on Wednesday.

As a result, Pike is no longer a recognized student organization for the remainder of the school year. Next fall, however, the chapter will begin a probationary period during which they will be required to participate in educational programs.

If all the mandatory requirements are met, Pike will be reinstated in the spring of 2014.

Despite the suspension, Pike will remain a member of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), but will not be able to participate in any IFC events.

“We will help them in any way we can as they slowly get back into good standing with the school,” said Brenden Kollar, president of IFC.

According to Potak, Pike is eager to get reinstated as a student organization.

“We are making the necessary changes to move Pi Kappa Alpha in the right direction,” he said. “The entire experience has allowed us to better appreciate our brotherhood and strengthen the bonds that our fraternity is founded on.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...