Pi Kappa Alpha suspended for nine violations

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, was suspended as a recognized student organization on Wednesday following an investigation by the Dean of Students Office.

“We are all very upset over the entire situation,” Pike President Harrison Potak said. “The chapter has had to take a step back and truly realize the repercussions of our actions.”

Two incidents involving Pike prompted the investigation. The first was an unauthorized, off-campus party during Labor Day weekend. The second is the initiation of ineligible members during the fraternity’s spring 2011 semester.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook defines a student who is eligible for initiation as one who has a cumulative GPA of 2.50 and is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during both pre-initiation and the time of initiation. Pike was charged with nine violations of university policy and pled “responsible to all charges,” according to information released by the Dean of Students Office on Wednesday.

As a result, Pike is no longer a recognized student organization for the remainder of the school year. Next fall, however, the chapter will begin a probationary period during which they will be required to participate in educational programs.

If all the mandatory requirements are met, Pike will be reinstated in the spring of 2014.

Despite the suspension, Pike will remain a member of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), but will not be able to participate in any IFC events.

“We will help them in any way we can as they slowly get back into good standing with the school,” said Brenden Kollar, president of IFC.

According to Potak, Pike is eager to get reinstated as a student organization.

“We are making the necessary changes to move Pi Kappa Alpha in the right direction,” he said. “The entire experience has allowed us to better appreciate our brotherhood and strengthen the bonds that our fraternity is founded on.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

The season is evaporating before our eyes. And nothing made that more obvious than University of Mia ...

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...