Pi Kappa Alpha suspended for nine violations

The Pi Kappa Alpha fraternity, also known as Pike, was suspended as a recognized student organization on Wednesday following an investigation by the Dean of Students Office.

“We are all very upset over the entire situation,” Pike President Harrison Potak said. “The chapter has had to take a step back and truly realize the repercussions of our actions.”

Two incidents involving Pike prompted the investigation. The first was an unauthorized, off-campus party during Labor Day weekend. The second is the initiation of ineligible members during the fraternity’s spring 2011 semester.

The Student Rights and Responsibilities Handbook defines a student who is eligible for initiation as one who has a cumulative GPA of 2.50 and is enrolled in at least 12 credit hours during both pre-initiation and the time of initiation. Pike was charged with nine violations of university policy and pled “responsible to all charges,” according to information released by the Dean of Students Office on Wednesday.

As a result, Pike is no longer a recognized student organization for the remainder of the school year. Next fall, however, the chapter will begin a probationary period during which they will be required to participate in educational programs.

If all the mandatory requirements are met, Pike will be reinstated in the spring of 2014.

Despite the suspension, Pike will remain a member of the Interfraternity Council (IFC), but will not be able to participate in any IFC events.

“We will help them in any way we can as they slowly get back into good standing with the school,” said Brenden Kollar, president of IFC.

According to Potak, Pike is eager to get reinstated as a student organization.

“We are making the necessary changes to move Pi Kappa Alpha in the right direction,” he said. “The entire experience has allowed us to better appreciate our brotherhood and strengthen the bonds that our fraternity is founded on.”

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...