Hurricane pride has disappeared

Where is the love? School spirit seems to be a bit low, and the pride in the Canes seems to be even lower. At the recent game against Georgia Tech, I noticed the stands were quite empty. Considering we played (and beat) a top 25 team, the stadium wasn’t full at all.

The city of Miami is not known to have great fans, especially for a college team that hasn’t performed as well recently. But with the recent resurrengence of quarterback Jacory Harris and a winning record, I feel that more people should be coming out for the games.

Reporters often call it the “South Beach effect.” If the team is not doing great, than there are better things to be doing, i.e. going to South Beach. But either way, I think at least the students should be coming out in droves for the games, even against opponents not ranked in the top 25.

Sun Life Stadium is a hike, however, and even I have forgone a game or two because of the distance. Unfortunately, I don’t see a stadium being built in the Gables anytime soon, which means that students and Miami residents need to make the long trek up to Miami Gardens.

I guess the only way to fill up seats is to have a team that wins. However, we can do our part and support our team. I am always amazed to see how passionate and full student sections in other colleges are. Hopefully, we can experience that sometime and maybe take away the stereotype of being fair weather fans.

Nikhil Ghorpade is a sophomore majoring in public relations and ecosystem science and policy.

Nikhil Ghorpade

University of Miami students share their thoughts and impressions as President Joe Biden and Vice President Kamala Harris take the helm. ...

Following Wednesday’s historic event, University of Miami experts in various fields provide their insight on the biggest challenges facing the new administration. ...

As part of the “Roadmap to Our New Century” initiative, the University of Miami advances the art of teaching and the science of learning by partnering with students, alumni, and others to offer options throughout the entire adult learning life cycle. ...

University of Miami experts weigh the merit and consequences of amending or repealing the communications law that provides a legal shield for service providers from the words, images, and videos posted by their users. ...

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...