Former administrator reminisces, stays involved

Bill Butler during his early years at the University of Miami. Courtesy Division of Student Affairs

Imagine the University of Miami in 1965: no freshmen towers, no cafeterias, no shuttles and no organized student life.

That same year, William R. Butler joined UM, becoming vice president of student affairs at the request of former president Henry King Stanford.

Prior to his arrival at UM, Butler served as the dean of students at Ohio University.

But Butler had no qualms about packing up with his wife, Jenny, and making the move down south when Stanford insisted he was “the man for the job.”

“A lot of people thought I was crazy to come down here because there was a lot that needed to be done,” Butler said.

His first act was to establish the school’s radio station, WVUM. Stanford had appointed him treasurer of the station while Butler was still in Ohio.

“To get it where it is today, we had to work out a deal with CBS to get a tower,” he said. “It’s amazing that in 1965 it was just a little station, 10 watts, between men’s dormitories.”

Butler is also responsible for what are now Hecht and Stanford Residential Colleges. But in the first half of the school’s history, the apartments and Pearson Hall were the only housing.

Butler remembers telling the administration to replace the “gaudy green, red and orange plastic curtains hanging from the windows in the apartments,” but he was told the school did not have enough money.

“Well, get new drapes and I’ll find the money somehow,” he told administration.

Butler also taught a class in education and later started a master’s program. The program has since expanded to a doctorate program in higher education, which trains educators for administration.

For 17 years, he was responsible for admissions and financial aid, where he worked to establish the diversity and international outreach for which UM is so well-known today. Part of his plan was to hire younger staff members that could help Butler develop his vision.

“When I came we only had a handful of black students and 200 or 300 international ones,” he said. “By the time I retired, we were able to bring in more than 1,000 black students, 2,500 international students, and that flavor has stuck.”

Butler also founded the Center for Volunteer Services and Leadership Development (SLC), which bears his name. The center  oversees the many student organizations that offer students several opportunities to volunteer and take on leadership roles.

“It has more than met my fondest hope with what it would do,” he said. “It adds a dimension of sensitivity and positive value to those young people.”

Butler also created the Students Activities Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) to ensure that the funds from students’ activities fees were properly distributed among the organizations.

In 1996, the year before he retired, the Wellness Center opened. Unsatisfied with the school’s gym, he had sought donations from alumni and others connected to the school. He views the building as his final  contribution to the university.

After spending 32 years at UM, Butler took seven years encapsulating the school’s history in his book “Embracing the World: The University of Miami – From Cardboard College to International and Global Acclaim.”

The book, which was published in 2008, is currently sold in the university’s bookstore. All proceeds go to the SLC.

“President Stanford said, Bill you better write a definitive history of the university,” Butler said. “You are the only person who knows enough about it.”

Chelsea Kimmey

Assistant News Editor

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...