Annual entrepreneurship week motivates students

The University of Miami’s Launch Pad will present Global Entrepreneurship Week (GEW) starting Monday.

This worldwide initiative is celebrated in more than 100 countries and marks UM’s fourth year participating. Events are geared toward informing and engaging future entrepreneurs.

The Launch Pad opened in 2008 with a goal to encourage students to pursue their dreams in entrepreneurship and put their ideas into action. Since then, it has been ranked the No. 1 U.S. campus partner by GEW.

Susan Amat, the executive director and co-founder of The Launch Pad, organized GEW and looks forward to the turnout. In 2010, more than 5,000 people attended GEW on campus.

“We do GEW to make it accessible to everyone on campus, so whether or not you know anything about business you can come to one of the events and just listen to the stories of these people who have done fascinating things,” Amat said. “They’ll admit to you that they didn’t know what they were doing when they started out, but they learned by doing.”

One of GEW’s goals is to get students and young people in the community to understand that failure is a part of the process and mistakes are made along the way.

“We want our students, alumni and people in the community to go to an event, hear this entrepreneurial story and understand that failure is sometimes a part of that big success story you hear,” Amat said.

One of the first events of GEW is An Evening of Fashion with South Florida’s trendiest fashionistas. The event will include a local designer panel and two keynote speakers, Alina Villasante of Peace Love World and Loren Ridinger of Market America.

Other events include the fourth annual Elevator Pitch contest, which is open to students and the community, and the Building Your Brand breakfast with America’s top Hispanic marketing firm.

Although GEW is geared to educate and motivate future entrepreneurs, all majors are invited to attend the events.  There will be a wide variety of business owners from different industries, such as technology, fashion, law and medicine.

“Entrepreneurship Week is that time to share your dreams and your visions for what you want your future to look like and start reaching for them,” Amat said.

Senior Shahzain Malik helped organize GEW and feels that the event is a great experience and opportunity for students.

“GEW has been my favorite event that is put on by the university because there is so much to be learned from all the successful people they bring in to speak,” Malik said. “One of the former speakers did exactly what I was interested in and I ended up getting an internship from him.”

Elizabeth De Armas

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...