Sailing club prepares for Boston

Cayla Nimmo/Assistant Photo Editor

Junior Liam Munzenmaier (left) and sophomore Jared Payne work together to navigate their boat during the co-ed Sailing Club’s practice. Members practice Monday through Thursday at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club, which sits on Biscayne Bay.

Last year, the team went to nationals and placed 10th overall. The UM Sailing Club is unique in that its members thrive on competition, whereas other teams are more inclined to sail for recreation alone.

“Sailing isn’t so much into trophies on the collegiate level, unfortunately,” said Munzenmaier, the club’s president.

The club will head to Boston this weekend for the Atlantic Coast Conference Championship.

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...