Freshmen adjust to registration

For the typical freshman who is adjusting to life as a college student, registration for the spring 2012 semester at the University of Miami has presented an unexpected hurdle.

Registration priority, which runs from Nov. 7 to 18, is based on the total number of credits a student has earned, leaving freshmen at the bottom of the registration totem pole.

Students coming in to the university with few or no credits must register for classes on Nov. 17 or 18. These late registration dates worry freshmen, who may have a difficult time getting the classes they need.

“I’m just nervous that I won’t get the classes I need for my major,” freshman Jeffrey Forman said.

Freshman Victoria Nutting feels the seniority factor complicates the process unnecessarily.

“Seniority should only exist if upperclassmen need to have certain classes at certain times to get their degree,” she said.

Other freshmen are content with the registration process because they will enjoy the privilege when they are upperclassmen.

“This way, people who need to graduate on time can get the credits they need,” freshman Cassandra Sanabria said.

Some, like freshman Emica Diep, think that the registration should be changed to avoid the stress.

“We should sign up when we know what we want instead of at a certain time and date,” Diep said.

In addition to registering at a certain date and time, students must plan out a schedule beforehand with an adviser, making sure to have backup options if their first choices are unavailable. Forman said he has been “confused” by the entire process.

There are, however, students who feel comfortable with the registration experience.

“My adviser gave us a lot of prior information, so by the time I saw her to get the registration pin, there were no conflicts,” freshman Maura Lapoff said.

The University of Florida and Florida International University also grant registration priority to students based on credit hours.

On the contrary, some private institutions with fewer undergraduate students, like the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, have only one day for registration, with certain exceptions, on which students are simultaneously advised and registered for classes.

Danielle Ellis

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...