Basketball, Sports

Larranaga works on implementing new style

DeQuan Jones dunks the basketball during the Miami Madness event. Zach Beeker//The Miami Hurricane

The wait is over for Miami hoops enthusiasts: The men’s basketball team is set to launch its season Thursday at 7 p.m. in an exhibition game against Florida Southern.

While the game’s result won’t officially be reflected in the Canes’ record, it will be the team’s first contest since it was eliminated by Alabama in a 79-64 loss in the quarterfinals of last season’s NIT.

New head coach Jim Larranaga has had his players preparing for the start of the season for the past three weeks with practices and intra-squad scrimmages.

“The guys are tired of playing against each other,” he said. “You want to try and beat on somebody else.”

Miami comes into the season projected to finish fifth in the very competitive ACC, as it returns 11 players from last season’s 12-man roster that finished with a 21-15 record and a ninth-place finish in the conference.

Senior guard Malcolm Grant leads a talented and deep backcourt for the Canes, and was voted to the Preseason All-ACC team. Last season, Grant led the conference in three different statistical categories: three-point percentage, three-pointers made per game and free throw percentage.

With a talented and athletic group of players, Larranaga is faced with the challenge of adjusting his team to a new style of play.

“Whenever you’re developing a new system, it takes the players a while to adjust,” he said. “A coach can’t adjust to 13 different styles, but 13 people can adjust to one new style.”

Larranaga feels that, defensively, the team needs to improve on pressuring the ball, preventing dribble penetration and ultimately rebounding better to finish off opponents’ possessions.

Offensively, he’d like to see his guards distribute without turning the ball over. Larranaga said he sees too many turnovers in practice because players are in a hurry.

The Canes are hindered by injuries  in the frontcourt. Julian Gamble is out for the season with an ACL tear, and Reggie Johnson isn’t expected back until January.

Larranaga will mostly play a four-guard lineup this season, with either Kenny Kadji or Raphael Akpejiori playing center. Against bigger teams, expect Kadji and Akpejiori to split playing time and create better matchups.

Kadji will not play in Thursday’s exhibition at the BankUnited Center because of a “violation of team expectations.”

David Furones

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Extremely involved and passionate about UM, she served as a trustee for 21 years, beginning in 1997. ...

The University of Miami’s emergency management team is working to create a disaster resilient Univer ...

University of Miami Police and the Department of Parking and Transportation provide various services ...

The number of students applying for Study Abroad has increased dramatically, with Europe being the m ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...