Bank drops proposed fee on debit cards

Bank of America customers, take a sigh of relief. The bank recently took back its plan to implement a new debit card fee.

The policy, which would have gone into effect Jan. 2012, would have charged customers $5 per month to use their debit cards for purchases.

The fee would have been enacted regardless of how often customers used their cards. The bank proposed the fee to combat a decrease in its revenue due to increased government regulation.

The bank resorted to the debit card fee because of the recent Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, which states that banks cannot charge more than 21 cents per transaction in swipe fees. Swipe fees are the fees that banks charge merchants when customers use a debit card.

Bank of America spokesperson Anne Pace told the Associated Press that the bank decided to revoke the fee due to a “changing competitive marketplace.”

Chase and Wells Fargo announced last week that they, too, abandoned plans to implement similar fees.

Some students are happy that the fee was dropped.

“They have every right to charge, but I was seriously considering trying to switch banks,” junior Joseph Kleiman said. “Since they decided not to pose the fee, I’m not going to worry about switching banks now.”

Other students were not against the proposed fee.

“I’m glad that they removed the fee,” junior Richard Chan said. “However, I have other accounts with other banks, so the debit card fee wouldn’t really have affected me.”

Though the bank will not look into other fees on debit cards, it has already started to look at alternatives to regain lost revenue. Bank of America raised the monthly fee on its basic checking account from $8.95 to $12, according to the Associated Press.

“We’re going to have to pay more to use [other services], but I’d rather do that,” senior Michael Acosta said.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ You know when you will know the Hurricanes are really bac ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

The Miami track and field program is set to compete at the Tom Jones Memorial meet this weekend for ...

The No. 24 Hurricanes welcome ACC Coastal division foe Virginia Tech for a three-game series beginni ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...