Students celebrate Hindu holiday

The Indian Students Association (ISA) will celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights, at 7 p.m. on Saturday with a performance at the Manuel Airtime Theater in Miami.

Diwali is a five-day Hindu holiday that celebrates the victory of good over evil and light over darkness. It also marks the start of the Hindu New Year.

The festivities on campus began  last Friday with the Navratri celebration and continued Monday at the Rock with the religious prayer for the first day of Diwali, which was hosted by the Hindu Student Council.

“We want to promote the Indian community among our members and all students at UM,” said Richa Taneja, president of ISA.

The ISA Diwali performance will start off with a prayer. Also, members will explain the significance of the holiday throughout the night.

“We want to let everyone know what the Indian festival is and how we celebrate,” said Aruna Arian, ISA adviser for the past 17 years.

Groups performing will include UMiami SwaggeRaas, Hurricane Bhangra, UFusion and UMiami Tufaan.

“I am excited for everyone to come out whether they are Indian or not; it is important for everyone to be exposed to different cultures,” said Ronak Patel, vice president of ISA.

Admission is free for ISA members, $5 for students with a valid Cane Card, $10 for children and $15 for adults.

Aimee Allen

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...