Students celebrate Hindu holiday

The Indian Students Association (ISA) will celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights, at 7 p.m. on Saturday with a performance at the Manuel Airtime Theater in Miami.

Diwali is a five-day Hindu holiday that celebrates the victory of good over evil and light over darkness. It also marks the start of the Hindu New Year.

The festivities on campus began  last Friday with the Navratri celebration and continued Monday at the Rock with the religious prayer for the first day of Diwali, which was hosted by the Hindu Student Council.

“We want to promote the Indian community among our members and all students at UM,” said Richa Taneja, president of ISA.

The ISA Diwali performance will start off with a prayer. Also, members will explain the significance of the holiday throughout the night.

“We want to let everyone know what the Indian festival is and how we celebrate,” said Aruna Arian, ISA adviser for the past 17 years.

Groups performing will include UMiami SwaggeRaas, Hurricane Bhangra, UFusion and UMiami Tufaan.

“I am excited for everyone to come out whether they are Indian or not; it is important for everyone to be exposed to different cultures,” said Ronak Patel, vice president of ISA.

Admission is free for ISA members, $5 for students with a valid Cane Card, $10 for children and $15 for adults.

Aimee Allen

Eleven football seasons ago, after the Miami Hurricanes and FIU Panthers met at the Orange Bowl for ...

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball program won its third straight match in 3-0 fashion on Friday night ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team registered two straight-set wins Friday ...

It's been over a decade since they last met, but Miami and FIU are set to renew their crosstown ...

The University of Miami cross country team gears up to compete in its third meet of the season this ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a five-year contract extensio ...