Students celebrate Hindu holiday

The Indian Students Association (ISA) will celebrate Diwali, the festival of lights, at 7 p.m. on Saturday with a performance at the Manuel Airtime Theater in Miami.

Diwali is a five-day Hindu holiday that celebrates the victory of good over evil and light over darkness. It also marks the start of the Hindu New Year.

The festivities on campus began  last Friday with the Navratri celebration and continued Monday at the Rock with the religious prayer for the first day of Diwali, which was hosted by the Hindu Student Council.

“We want to promote the Indian community among our members and all students at UM,” said Richa Taneja, president of ISA.

The ISA Diwali performance will start off with a prayer. Also, members will explain the significance of the holiday throughout the night.

“We want to let everyone know what the Indian festival is and how we celebrate,” said Aruna Arian, ISA adviser for the past 17 years.

Groups performing will include UMiami SwaggeRaas, Hurricane Bhangra, UFusion and UMiami Tufaan.

“I am excited for everyone to come out whether they are Indian or not; it is important for everyone to be exposed to different cultures,” said Ronak Patel, vice president of ISA.

Admission is free for ISA members, $5 for students with a valid Cane Card, $10 for children and $15 for adults.

Aimee Allen

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...