Eye on Hurricane Safety: Rina expected to take detour

Hurricane Rina is expected to downgrade to a Category 1 storm as it approaches the Yucatan peninsula on Thursday.

The National Hurricane Center also predicts that Rina will bring stormy weather to South Florida over the weekend. Still, a direct hit to the state is not projected, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Residents, however, should still prepare. In 2005, Hurricane Wilma followed a similar path and hit South Florida as a Category 1 storm. It caused 25 deaths, along with power outages in more than 3 million homes.

Here are a few tips to help UM students prepare in case a hurricane strikes.

Alysha Khan

Online Editor

Daily protests are taking place in Puerto Rico, calling for the resignation of Gov. Ricardo Roselló. ...

How will the sentencing of “El Chapo” impact the drug trade out of Mexico? Bruce Bagley, a professor ...

By showing how the controversial crime-fighting strategy is unevenly employed in marginalized neighb ...

Hosmay Lopez, of the NOAA Cooperative Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Studies at the University ...

UM alumna Shirley Hoffman Kilkelly was one of the few women engineers who worked on the Apollo 11 mo ...

Junior defensive back Trajan Bandy was among those players named to the 2019 Jim Thorpe Award Presea ...

Seniors Michael Pinckney and Shaquille Quarterman were among those players named to the watch list f ...

Sophomore tight end Brevin Jordan was among the 60 players named to the 2019 John Mackey Award Prese ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team added yet another elite accolade to her ...

Redshirt senior wide receiver K.J. Osborn was among six ACC players named to The Biletnikoff Award W ...