Student faces several charges after fatal crash

Ivanna Villanueva, a 19-year-old UM sophomore, was charged with vehicular homicide, DUI manslaughter and possession of false driver’s licenses on Monday, according to police reports.

At 4:30 a.m. on Oct. 4, Villanueva crashed her father’s Audi Q5 into Eyder Ayala’s Ford Focus. The impact pushed the back of Ayala’s car into the front seat, according to a report released by WSVN Miami, the local Fox affiliate.

Villanueva was driving back from South Beach after drinking underage at Liv, a club located inside the Fountainebleau Hotel. Her blood alcohol level after the crash was .231, according to an article in The Miami Herald.

Ayala, a manager at a local McDonald’s, was returning home from a night shift. The 68-year-old was a mother of five and a grandmother of seven.

The court set Villanueva’s bond at $50,000, and she was released on bond out of jail the same day.

She was given an electronic bracelet and put under house arrest. However, she is allowed to attend classes.

Ayala’s family is suing Villanueva and her father for negligence. Attorneys for the family also mentioned that they might pursue a lawsuit against Liv for serving alcohol to Villanueva, according to a report released from CBS 4.

David O. Markus, Villanueva’s attorney, released a statement to The Miami Herald: “This is a tragic case all around, and the Villanueva family would like to extend their deepest sympathies to the Ayala family.”

A hearing is scheduled for Jan. 13, 2012.

Kylie Banks

Staff Writer

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...