Stacks prevent procrastination

I sneeze and can nearly feel the death glare from my neighbor through my cubicle wall as I try to turn the page of my textbook as silently as possible. In the Richter Library Stacks Tower, in this instance on the 7th floor, any form of noise seems unacceptable. Alas, there goes my master plan to longboard between the rows of books.

This was my first time ever studying in the stacks and easily the most productive six hours that I’ve had yet this semester. It may be the mindset of working in the library that helped me avoid procrastinating, the near-requirement to be silent or the fear of judging from fellow students that keeps my work ethic so strong here.

There are so many aspects about the stacks that I question. Is there a certain reason people choose to study on a specific level? If I got murdered in the stacks, how long would it take for someone to find me? Am I really the only person up here who’s incredibly creeped out?

The stacks aren’t for everyone, but I can almost guarantee that if you’re willing to work there, you will get into your “crunch” mode sooner than you think. Losing track of time could be a problem, as hours slip by faster that you’d think, but the amount of work completed at the end of your study session will be worth it.

Alexa Pappas is a freshman majoring in broadcast journalism and sport administration.

Alexa Pappas

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...