Fraternity raises funds to repair chapter’s house

Lambda Chi Alpha brothers met at their fraternity house on San Amaro Drive last Friday to celebrate the culmination of summer-long efforts made to preserve the history and future of the chapter’s house, a push that led to an approximate $93,000 alumni-driven donation.

The weekend barbecue was planned to thank the alumni for their financial and spiritual support in response to a City of Coral Gables ordinance that would have otherwise left about 20 students homeless.

As previously reported by The Miami Hurricane, the City of Coral Gables’ fire marshal conducted brief, almost unexpected inspections of on-campus fraternity houses over the summer. Each chapter’s adviser had little time to gather adequate resources for preparation.

Lambda Chi Alpha, in particular, suffered from a series of expensive mandates to repair and update facets of the house that no longer met fire-code standards. Outdated alarm systems, loft removal and wall damage could have shut down the house come fall semester.

“I had 30 days to come up with funds out of no where to address this issue,” said Freddy Stebbins, UM alumnus, adviser and brother of Lambda Chi Alpha.

After learning of the necessary changes, Stebbins, along with other alumni, began to use social networking sites to garner the attention of the local and national fraternity.

The changes imposed by the fire marshal reached nearly $30,000, but Stebbins’ mobilization efforts and an unprecedented donation campaign have enabled the chapter to repair and upgrade other older, otherwise irreparable, problems.

“People were so scared that we were going to lose the fraternity house that many more dollars were raised,” Stebbins said. “People just sent money and, with that money, we were able to repair other things that were not fire-related.”

Jay Janger, an alumnus who now lives in Houston, Texas, was also part of the grassroots effort.

“As soon as we knew that there was some pretty serious turnout happening in terms of financial support, we knew that we would want to wrap it up with an event to help celebrate the alumni,” Janger said.

A plaque, in addition to other presentations and awards, was made to honor every brother who donated to the overall drive.

“It was really powerful because alumni of the fraternity and new pledges represented different stages of the fraternity, and it was incredible to see it all in one room,” said Tony Gustitus, current president of UM’s chapter of Lambda Chi Alpha. “They lived in the same rooms that we do, they built parts of the house, and it was cool to see and hear things that you never knew about the place.”

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...