Staff editorial 10/20: Road etiquette in short supply

Miami has a very unfortunate history of traffic accidents, and everyone, including pedestrians, drivers and bikers are partly to blame.

Bikers hit pedestrians, drivers hit bikers and pedestrians cause traffic accidents. It’s a vicious cycle that creates a lot of animosity.

Still, a lot of blame tends to fall solely on bikers. Pedestrians and drivers both have their designated roads and sidewalks, and bikers are viewed as a perpetual roadblock no matter where they choose to ride.

Cars want them on sidewalks, pedestrians want them in the street – someone is always unsatisfied.

Yes, there are inconsiderate bikers out there. There are those bike clubs that ride over the Rickenbacker and take up half of the right lane. There are bikers that ride on busy pedestrian paths and expect people to get out of their way. There are even bikers that seem to disregard their own lives by purposely getting in the way of cars.

Regardless, bikers deserve some courtesy. The law states that the minimum clearance for passing a bicyclist on the road is 3 feet wide. Drivers don’t follow this law and probably don’t even know it exists. Sharing a lane means sharing responsibility. It’s up to both parties to travel safely and respectfully.

When accidents happen that involve bikers and pedestrians, they are rarely on main roads. Such mishaps usually occur on the poorly-lit side streets with no sidewalks.

Numerous students have been harmed or killed in these situations and, even if a pedestrian or biker isn’t paying attention, that doesn’t give drivers the right to drive carelessly. Slow down a little and put down the phone when you’re behind the wheel.

The problem is a general lack of common sense from pedestrians, drivers and bikers alike. Since birth we have been told to look both ways before crossing the street. So why aren’t people more careful?

You have the power and responsibility to ensure your own safety and that of others while out on the roads.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...