Scholarship honors Sigma Chi brother

Sophomores Drew Malinsky and Alex Otsbye compete in Sigma Chi’s memorial tournament to raise funds for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

A soccer tournament held Sunday raised more than $2,000 for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created by members of Sigma Chi to honor the late UM student and fellow fraternity brother.

Emmons, a 19-year-old sophomore majoring in entrepreneurship, was struck by a car traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive in the early morning of Dec. 5, 2010.

The fraternity, in conjunction with the campus organization Students for Traffic Safety, held a sand soccer tournament at the on-campus fraternity house Sunday afternoon.

During the opening ceremony of the tournament, the brothers raised a flag in honor of Emmons, which will continue to fly in his memory.

All the proceeds from the tournament will go towards the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created in a collaborative effort between Sigma Chi and the Emmons family.

The fund allows students to attend Emmons’ alma mater, Out-of-Door Academy, a private high school located in Sarasota, Fla.

The money raised will provide one student each year who best exemplifies Emmons’ friendly, loving personality the opportunity to attend the academy on full scholarship for all four years.

Emmons’ parents worked closely with Sigma Chi on the project and attended the event.

“Best kid I ever knew,” senior Nate Fledhacker said. “Fun-loving, he lit up a room [and had] no enemies. He meant the world to our fraternity.”

Fledhacker grew up in Sarasota with Emmons and has been one of his best friends since they were 13 years old.

He encouraged Emmons to join the UM community and later become a member of the fraternity.

Emmons’ death marked the second time in a one-month span that a UM student was killed while walking on or near the campus.

Senior Scott Furlaud, a Sigma Chi brother, added that Emmons was “really friendly, really welcoming and really open.”

Junior Nate Kalin, who also grew up with Emmons, organized the tournament. He said he’s happy that he can honor Emmons through the scholarship fund.

“I’m really thankful for all the people who are coming out and for the fraternity and Emmons’ parents,” Kalin said.

Paul Levy

University of Miami atmospheric scientist Elliot Atlas is part of a NASA-funded project studying how ...

Led by the Miller School of Medicine, the southeast region has enrolled more than 14,000 volunteers ...

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

With an Olympic year on the horizon, former Canes star Lauryn Williams reflects on an incredible car ...

The Miami women's basketball staff just got stronger with the addition of former Hurricane stan ...

The University of Miami football program announced Sunday that it has accepted a bid to the 2019 Wal ...

Spots are filling up fast for the upcoming Gino DiMare Exposure Camp on January 18-19, 2020. ...

Greg Rousseau was one of Miami's breakout players this year and will be honored Friday night in ...