Scholarship honors Sigma Chi brother

Sophomores Drew Malinsky and Alex Otsbye compete in Sigma Chi’s memorial tournament to raise funds for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

A soccer tournament held Sunday raised more than $2,000 for the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created by members of Sigma Chi to honor the late UM student and fellow fraternity brother.

Emmons, a 19-year-old sophomore majoring in entrepreneurship, was struck by a car traveling southbound on San Amaro Drive in the early morning of Dec. 5, 2010.

The fraternity, in conjunction with the campus organization Students for Traffic Safety, held a sand soccer tournament at the on-campus fraternity house Sunday afternoon.

During the opening ceremony of the tournament, the brothers raised a flag in honor of Emmons, which will continue to fly in his memory.

All the proceeds from the tournament will go towards the Taylor Emmons Scholarship Fund, which was created in a collaborative effort between Sigma Chi and the Emmons family.

The fund allows students to attend Emmons’ alma mater, Out-of-Door Academy, a private high school located in Sarasota, Fla.

The money raised will provide one student each year who best exemplifies Emmons’ friendly, loving personality the opportunity to attend the academy on full scholarship for all four years.

Emmons’ parents worked closely with Sigma Chi on the project and attended the event.

“Best kid I ever knew,” senior Nate Fledhacker said. “Fun-loving, he lit up a room [and had]no enemies. He meant the world to our fraternity.”

Fledhacker grew up in Sarasota with Emmons and has been one of his best friends since they were 13 years old.

He encouraged Emmons to join the UM community and later become a member of the fraternity.

Emmons’ death marked the second time in a one-month span that a UM student was killed while walking on or near the campus.

Senior Scott Furlaud, a Sigma Chi brother, added that Emmons was “really friendly, really welcoming and really open.”

Junior Nate Kalin, who also grew up with Emmons, organized the tournament. He said he’s happy that he can honor Emmons through the scholarship fund.

“I’m really thankful for all the people who are coming out and for the fraternity and Emmons’ parents,” Kalin said.

Paul Levy

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

They are two big bodies with experience, but new to the University of Miami. And the Miami Hurricane ...

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...

The University of Miami soccer team will travel to Boca Raton, Fla., Friday night as the team kicks ...

The University of Miami's volleyball team returns to the Knight Sports Complex on Saturday at 3 ...

University of Miami head men's tennis coach Aljosa Piric revealed Friday the team's schedu ...