Keep your private life out of my life

I remember a friend of mine telling me about her experiences living on campus. Her neighbors couldn’t keep their private time in the middle of the night to themselves.

She joked about how she didn’t want a roommate, but these two made it a point to convince her that they should be for 30 minutes (or less if I remember correctly).

On these students’ lists of extracurricular activities: Intramural ultimate frisbee, frat secretary, sex and a part-time job at the gym. I’m not your parent, so I’m not going to tell you what to do with your life, time or genitals.

But can we make the conscious effort to keep our private lives … what’s the word I’m looking for … private? We can lose all of our dignity and morals on the societal scale, but just because the Patriot Act exists for the government doesn’t mean that my friend should have to endure the unnecessary foolishness of her neighbor’s intercourse.

We’ve found a way to make technology the center of our lives and managed to forget what a landline is. Having phone conversations while walking to class, in the library and other places they don’t need to be? Honestly, if that were you studying for an organic chemistry exam would you really want Becky talking to Sue about how Bill and Joe approached her at the club last weekend and they all got phenomenally wasted?

This is partly a rant and partly me just speaking for those who I’ve crossed paths with during my time at UM. I’ve heard too many testimonials for this to be taboo that’s only open at the dinner table, in texts you send your best friend or angry tweets and Facebook status updates. There are many different things we can find that need correction, but these are the most I’ve ever heard about so now was the time to address it.

Care about more than just yourself, because you may keep yourself from being pointed out in opinion pieces in your school’s newspaper. You say that your private life is none of my business, but all I’m trying to do is keep it that way.

We better ourselves, we better each other.

Jacquelynn Sims is a senior majoring in motion pictures and sport administration.

Jacquelynn Sims

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...