Keep your private life out of my life

I remember a friend of mine telling me about her experiences living on campus. Her neighbors couldn’t keep their private time in the middle of the night to themselves.

She joked about how she didn’t want a roommate, but these two made it a point to convince her that they should be for 30 minutes (or less if I remember correctly).

On these students’ lists of extracurricular activities: Intramural ultimate frisbee, frat secretary, sex and a part-time job at the gym. I’m not your parent, so I’m not going to tell you what to do with your life, time or genitals.

But can we make the conscious effort to keep our private lives … what’s the word I’m looking for … private? We can lose all of our dignity and morals on the societal scale, but just because the Patriot Act exists for the government doesn’t mean that my friend should have to endure the unnecessary foolishness of her neighbor’s intercourse.

We’ve found a way to make technology the center of our lives and managed to forget what a landline is. Having phone conversations while walking to class, in the library and other places they don’t need to be? Honestly, if that were you studying for an organic chemistry exam would you really want Becky talking to Sue about how Bill and Joe approached her at the club last weekend and they all got phenomenally wasted?

This is partly a rant and partly me just speaking for those who I’ve crossed paths with during my time at UM. I’ve heard too many testimonials for this to be taboo that’s only open at the dinner table, in texts you send your best friend or angry tweets and Facebook status updates. There are many different things we can find that need correction, but these are the most I’ve ever heard about so now was the time to address it.

Care about more than just yourself, because you may keep yourself from being pointed out in opinion pieces in your school’s newspaper. You say that your private life is none of my business, but all I’m trying to do is keep it that way.

We better ourselves, we better each other.

Jacquelynn Sims is a senior majoring in motion pictures and sport administration.

Jacquelynn Sims

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

University of Miami student Kayla Crews has always been fascinated with Japan and its culture. Parti ...

School of Communication senior Leah Brown attended Cannes Lions Festival, one of the largest annual ...

A University of Miami engineering faculty member discusses how California’s infrastructure fared dur ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...