Conference focuses on ecological learning

Emilia Askari, a teacher and journalist from the University of Michigan, reels in a kingfish during Thursday’s deep sea fishing boat trip. Participants spent six hours on the water learning about sustainable recreational fishing methods in Florida. Marlena Skrobe//Photo Editor

The Society of Environmental Journalists, in conjunction with UM, hosted their 21st annual conference from Wednesday to Sunday at the InterContinental Hotel in downtown Miami.

The opening ceremony featured UM President Donna E. Shalala, Miami Herald columnist Carl Hiaasen and all five members of the Cousteau family, relatives of the late sea explorer Jacques Cousteau that continue to further his work in the field of marine conservation.

During the five-day event, journalists from across the nation participated in dozens of panel sessions and field trips that explored environmental issues.

The field trips included a trip to the Everglades, a scuba-diving expedition in Aquarius, which is the only undersea research lab in the world and a chance to go catch-and-release fishing.

“So busy,” said Rhonda Green, who was in charge of registration for the excursions on Thursday. “It’s all downhill from here. The tables are all set up and everything from now on is on-site.”

UM alumna Cristina Gonzalez, 22, who works for non-profit organization Earth Learning, led journalists on a tour called “From Farm to Table.”

Earth Learning works to inspire people, ventures, projects and activities dedicated to ecological learning and sustainability in the Greater Everglades bioregion, according to its website.

During her tour, Gonzalez shared information about Earth Learning initiatives, like a green job training effort with the homeless.

“They got a very nice overview of the food situation in South Florida, and they were able to see an actual farm and see how a farmers market in Homestead works,” Gonzalez said.

Another organization, Ocean Kids, jumped in on the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science’s booth at the conference to network with journalists.

“It was both fun and a little intimidating as we talked to people from major newspapers, magazines and TV stations from all over the country,” said Katie Silliman, fundraising subchair for Ocean Kids.

Hundreds of attendees gathered to participate in interactive panel sessions and question-and-answers with experts from various fields.

Those in attendance included a mother and her high school daughter, reporters from The New York Times, freelance reporters, government officials and scientists.

“My daughter is the one interested in all of these things but as a working mother, I am interested in how we can help the environment with more than just turning off the lights,” said Cecilia Andrade, a Miami resident who attended the conference.

Alejandra Acuna

The Miami Hurricanes have had almost a week to regroup after a road loss at Boston College, and they ...

Sam Brooks stood on the field at Orlando’s Camping World Stadium, tears welling up in his eyes, and ...

The Miami Hurricanes had just stunned second-ranked Louisville on the road last Sunday, in front of ...

Willie Moise was willing to give the Miami Hurricanes the benefit of the doubt when Manny Diaz left ...

The tweets that foreshadowed Thursday’s news for the Miami Hurricanes began the third week of Januar ...

Without their foresight and love of homeland, the collection—the largest repository of Cuban documen ...

In the wake of Justice Thomas’s jaw-dropping statement, UM media law experts weigh in on the landmar ...

Which film will win Best Picture? Who will be Best Actor? We asked the experts. ...

Political unrest has swept through Haiti recently, spurred on by escalating prices and alleged polit ...

Prominent music scholar Kyra Gaunt will deliver a talk Friday about her research into the racial opp ...

Michael Amditis hit his first career home run to lead the Canes past the Gators. ...

Three Miami track and field athletes made their way to the podium on Day 2 of the ACC Indoor Champio ...

In Friday's ACC opener, the No. 35 University of Miami men's tennis team topped Georgia Te ...

Game time is 2 p.m. in Coral Gables. ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set for its second in-state, top-25 showdown of the ...