News briefs- 10/20

HOMECOMING CONCERT TICKETS

On Thursday, students with a valid Cane Card will be able to pick up one ticket for the Homecoming Concert from the UC ticket window from 8:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Students will be able to choose between a general admission ticket or a general seats ticket. Students may pick up one ticket for a guest beginning Oct. 31.

DOWNTOWN ARTS

The University of Miami’s Theatre Department will collaborate with the Adrienne Arsht Center for the Performing Arts to present “The House of Bernarda Alba,” a show about women, honor and society. For $22, students are being offered a 50 percent discount for the show, which includes a post-show meet and greet. It will run until Sunday; performances are at 7 p.m. For tickets, visit arshtcenter.org.

M.B.A. INFORMATION SESSION

Students and alumni interested in pursuing an M.B.A. degree will be able to attend an information session hosted by the School of Business Administration on Thurs., Oct. 6 at 6 p.m. at the Courtyard Marriott Fort Lauderdale Airport and Cruise Port. The event is free. For more information and to RSVP, call 305-284-2510 or email mba@miami.edu.

ELEVATOR PITCH CONTEST

From Monday to Wednesday, the Launch Pad at the Toppel Career Center will host their annual Elevator Pitch Contest, a 90-second proposal for a product or service. Students are eligible to compete for up to $100,000 in prizes. For more information, visit thelaunchpad.org/pitch2011.

Jonathan Borge may be contacted at jborge@themiamihurricane.com.

Jonathan Borge

Assistant News Editor

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...