Rare recipes, the right way

Marlena Skrobe//The Miami Hurricane

Lionfish is a genus of venomous marine fish normally found in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean. They are known for their unusual fan shaped pectoral fins and spiky striped dorsal fins that mimic the lion’s mane. Their unusual spines are what make them a unique treat for divers and snorkelers in the ocean, but these spines also serve as an important defense mechanism against predators: they emit extremely painful, but nonfatal, venom. Lionfish rely on their camouflage to catch prey, which usually include smaller fish and shrimp. In the Pacific, they have very few natural predators, but they are not a major stressor on underwater ecosystems because their population is under control.
A number of restaurants now feature lionfish on the menu. When properly prepared, they can be a delicious treat.

Buttered lionfish grill style

Place butter, Lionfish filet, sliced onion, squash, zuccini and carrots with a squeeze of lime in a piece of aluminum foil and place over a fire for around six to eight minutes. Serve with a roll (so you can dip it in the sauce).

Lionfish sushi

Place sticky rice on seaweed wrap. Place raw lionfish filet, thin long sliced carrots, cucumber, raw turnip and fresh basil leaf. Roll tight, and serve with soy sauce and wasabi.

Lionfish wrap

First make your own bread by combining equal parts white and whole wheat (two cups), pinch of salt, two tablespoons of olive oil and about 1/2 cup of water. Mix together to a firm dough consistency. Flatten dough with rolling pin or bottle and place in a hot non-greased pan a couple of minutes on each side. Spice Lionfish filets with lemon pepper and grill till golden brown on each side. Wrap fish, lettuce, tomato, black olives, thin carrot and onion slices in the wrap. Make a dressing out of equal parts olive oil and apple cider vinegar with salt pepper and fresh thyme. Shake vigorously in a bottle and pour in the wrap.

Recipes courtesy of lionfishhunter.com

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

View photos from the Bethune-Cookman wildcats at Miami Hurricanes in a NCAA college basketball game ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...