Rare recipes, the right way

Marlena Skrobe//The Miami Hurricane

Lionfish is a genus of venomous marine fish normally found in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean. They are known for their unusual fan shaped pectoral fins and spiky striped dorsal fins that mimic the lion’s mane. Their unusual spines are what make them a unique treat for divers and snorkelers in the ocean, but these spines also serve as an important defense mechanism against predators: they emit extremely painful, but nonfatal, venom. Lionfish rely on their camouflage to catch prey, which usually include smaller fish and shrimp. In the Pacific, they have very few natural predators, but they are not a major stressor on underwater ecosystems because their population is under control.
A number of restaurants now feature lionfish on the menu. When properly prepared, they can be a delicious treat.

Buttered lionfish grill style

Place butter, Lionfish filet, sliced onion, squash, zuccini and carrots with a squeeze of lime in a piece of aluminum foil and place over a fire for around six to eight minutes. Serve with a roll (so you can dip it in the sauce).

Lionfish sushi

Place sticky rice on seaweed wrap. Place raw lionfish filet, thin long sliced carrots, cucumber, raw turnip and fresh basil leaf. Roll tight, and serve with soy sauce and wasabi.

Lionfish wrap

First make your own bread by combining equal parts white and whole wheat (two cups), pinch of salt, two tablespoons of olive oil and about 1/2 cup of water. Mix together to a firm dough consistency. Flatten dough with rolling pin or bottle and place in a hot non-greased pan a couple of minutes on each side. Spice Lionfish filets with lemon pepper and grill till golden brown on each side. Wrap fish, lettuce, tomato, black olives, thin carrot and onion slices in the wrap. Make a dressing out of equal parts olive oil and apple cider vinegar with salt pepper and fresh thyme. Shake vigorously in a bottle and pour in the wrap.

Recipes courtesy of lionfishhunter.com

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...