Offshore drilling will not solve oil crisis

It does not take a genius to figure out that we have a fuel crisis on our hands, with gas prices still incredibly high and America still looking for solutions to its energy problems.

One solution is offshore oil drilling, especially on America’s own shores. It should increase our supply of “home-grown” oil and lower the price of gasoline.

Do not be mistaken. This is the most pressing environmental issue on our doorstep, with the Obama administration’s acquiescence to allow some offshore drilling, which had been banned for many years, and Republicans pushing for more.

We know several reasons for why offshore drilling is not the answer, apart from the obvious threat of oil spills like the recent BP disaster.

First of all, gas prices will probably decrease, but not very significantly. Our consumption of oil is so grand that we will only get a new drop of oil rather than a full flood if offshore sites are opened.

Offshore drilling is not going to reduce our dependence on foreign oil significantly. Foreign countries, especially in the Middle East, produce so much oil that they are easy trading partners. With our current energy policy, we will continue to purchase from these countries.

Most importantly, simply opening up offshore sites without finding a long-term energy policy will only stop our bleeding temporarily, which will come back even stronger the next time that an oil crisis hits.

It is time to stop dilly-dallying on a robust energy policy. Past generations have been too lazy and there is no guarantee that future generations will pick up the slack.

We only have the present to make sure that things get done, so let’s get them done.

Gaurav Dhiman is a senior majoring in biology and political science.

Gaurav Dhiman

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team will begin her fall campaign Thursday a ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...