Former students honored for work on TV series

Two University of Miami alumni were involved in the making of an episode of the television series “Changing Seas,” which recently won the 2011 Communications Award in the film/radio/TV category.
The award was presented by the National Academy of Sciences, and the National Academy of Engineering and Institute of Medicine. It is funded by the W.M. Keck Foundation, which recognizes excellence in reporting and communication science, among other categories.
Veronique Koch, an alumna of UM’s Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science (RSMAS), was the episode’s associate producer.
“We beat out a lot of shows with much bigger budgets like [PBS’s] ‘NOVA,’” Koch said. “It was a big honor to win.”
Jenny Litz, another RSMAS alumna and a research fishery biologist for NOAA’s National Marine Fisheries Service, is interviewed in the episode.
“Changing Seas” is an ongoing program on local public television channel WPBT2 that focuses on discovering the oceans and their marine life. The episode that was recognized, “Sentinels of the Seas,” explores the health of bottlenose dolphins and how it correlates with environmental hazards that could harm humans.
“I think very few people know that a lot of dolphins and other marine animals have high body burdens of contaminants,” said Alexa Elliot, who produced the series. “There is no way for them to get rid of these contaminants. The only way is if it is a female and she gives birth.”
The dolphins’ deteriorating health as a result of contaminants in the food web is an indicator that this may be a problem facing humans as well.
“They are the canaries in the coal mind because they are showing the signs we could show if we eat the same contaminants,” Koch said.
To view this episode and learn more about the issue, visit changingseas.tv.

Jackie Salo

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...