The flawed shuttle system

Where are the shuttles? Why is it so crowded in the shuttle? When will the next shuttle come? These questions and many more cross my mind everyday as I wait for the next shuttle to come. I live in an apartment on Bird Road, so it usually takes me 10 minutes to get to campus. However, since I was out of the country during the summer, I got stuck with parking in the Ponce de Leon Garage.

Even though it only takes me 10 minutes to get to school, it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to get from Ponce Garage to the Ungar Building. It might sound ridiculous, but it’s become part of my everyday routine. I have to wake up almost two hours before class starts just to make it on time.

I am not the only one having trouble with our shuttle system. Every day I see people left behind because there is not enough space or people waiting for more than 20 minutes to get on a shuttle. It has become a game, so as soon as you see the shuttle coming, you make your way to the entrance because you might not even get inside and you do not know when the next bus will come.

There are many people in our student body, so there is no reason we should pack in the shuttle like sardines and fight our way in so we can make it to class. Something must be done to improve our shuttle system. After all, we all need our sleep; we should be accommodated, so we are able to make it to class on time and in one piece.

Rosa Orihuela is a junior majoring in journalism and computer science.

Rosa Orihuela

The University of Miami community is invited to participate in several events to discuss crucial topics regarding social justice and racial equality, explored in Ijeoma Oluo’s best-seller. ...

University writing experts weigh in on the inaugural poem, written and recited by Amanda Gorman, a 22-year-old U.S. youth poet laureate. ...

The number of ambassadors has been increased from 75 to 100 as the University continues to support a safe environment and help students adhere to COVID-19 guidelines. ...

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges—a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department and the first Black woman to serve as a lieutenant—has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...