The flawed shuttle system

Where are the shuttles? Why is it so crowded in the shuttle? When will the next shuttle come? These questions and many more cross my mind everyday as I wait for the next shuttle to come. I live in an apartment on Bird Road, so it usually takes me 10 minutes to get to campus. However, since I was out of the country during the summer, I got stuck with parking in the Ponce de Leon Garage.

Even though it only takes me 10 minutes to get to school, it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to get from Ponce Garage to the Ungar Building. It might sound ridiculous, but it’s become part of my everyday routine. I have to wake up almost two hours before class starts just to make it on time.

I am not the only one having trouble with our shuttle system. Every day I see people left behind because there is not enough space or people waiting for more than 20 minutes to get on a shuttle. It has become a game, so as soon as you see the shuttle coming, you make your way to the entrance because you might not even get inside and you do not know when the next bus will come.

There are many people in our student body, so there is no reason we should pack in the shuttle like sardines and fight our way in so we can make it to class. Something must be done to improve our shuttle system. After all, we all need our sleep; we should be accommodated, so we are able to make it to class on time and in one piece.

Rosa Orihuela is a junior majoring in journalism and computer science.

Rosa Orihuela

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

Six members of the Miami track and field team earned a spot at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Championships i ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team secured her spot in the NCAA ...

It took extra innings, but the Canes dropped their final game of pool play at the 2019 ACC Baseball ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...