The flawed shuttle system

Where are the shuttles? Why is it so crowded in the shuttle? When will the next shuttle come? These questions and many more cross my mind everyday as I wait for the next shuttle to come. I live in an apartment on Bird Road, so it usually takes me 10 minutes to get to campus. However, since I was out of the country during the summer, I got stuck with parking in the Ponce de Leon Garage.

Even though it only takes me 10 minutes to get to school, it takes me 30 to 45 minutes to get from Ponce Garage to the Ungar Building. It might sound ridiculous, but it’s become part of my everyday routine. I have to wake up almost two hours before class starts just to make it on time.

I am not the only one having trouble with our shuttle system. Every day I see people left behind because there is not enough space or people waiting for more than 20 minutes to get on a shuttle. It has become a game, so as soon as you see the shuttle coming, you make your way to the entrance because you might not even get inside and you do not know when the next bus will come.

There are many people in our student body, so there is no reason we should pack in the shuttle like sardines and fight our way in so we can make it to class. Something must be done to improve our shuttle system. After all, we all need our sleep; we should be accommodated, so we are able to make it to class on time and in one piece.

Rosa Orihuela is a junior majoring in journalism and computer science.

Rosa Orihuela

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...

Head coach Aljosa Piric announces 2019 fall slate. ...

Miami women's basketball team dominated its final game in Italy by defeating the Venice All Sta ...