Photo

Sukkah Competition

Meagan Sippel, 5th Year School of Architecture student, sits in her friend Brian Law'€™s Sukkah, while he perches on the roof. The Hebrew letters for Sukkah inspired Law’s construction, which can be turned on any side and still maintain the same design and function. "I'€™m not doing this for religious reasons,"€ say Law, "Architecture students rarely get to build their designs, so this was a good opportunity to do that."€ Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

isaye James, daughter of law school Professor James, walks around the Sukkah competition with her father, checking out the different structures. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

The School of Architecture and Engineering worked together to bring the first annual Sukkah competition to Miami, inspired by the competition in New York City last year. Sukkahs historically were make shift dwellings that Jewish people would set up and take down as they traveled through the desert for 40 years. Modern day Orthodox Jews reconstruct the Sukkahs for the weeklong holiday of Sukkot and is a center of the festivities commemorating their ancestors. This competition is a new interpretation non the Sukkah, though the requirements are the same as biblical ones: minimum area of 7 handbreadths, roof must be made of an uprooted plant, minimum of two and a half walls, must have more shade than sun, must be able to see the stars, and be a minimum height of 10 handbreadths.

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

The University of Miami is closely monitoring the current coronavirus (COVID-19) outbreak. Universit ...

A new study looks at how expectations create positive or negative emotions when academic grades are ...

Industrial engineering professor Nurcin Celik is developing technology that would allow local power ...

The Master of Professional Science in Urban Sustainability and Resilience, offered by the College of ...

University of Miami students and professors discuss the issues surrounding Clearview AI, a new softw ...