Photo

Sukkah Competition

Meagan Sippel, 5th Year School of Architecture student, sits in her friend Brian Law'€™s Sukkah, while he perches on the roof. The Hebrew letters for Sukkah inspired Law’s construction, which can be turned on any side and still maintain the same design and function. "I'€™m not doing this for religious reasons,"€ say Law, "Architecture students rarely get to build their designs, so this was a good opportunity to do that."€ Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

isaye James, daughter of law school Professor James, walks around the Sukkah competition with her father, checking out the different structures. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

The School of Architecture and Engineering worked together to bring the first annual Sukkah competition to Miami, inspired by the competition in New York City last year. Sukkahs historically were make shift dwellings that Jewish people would set up and take down as they traveled through the desert for 40 years. Modern day Orthodox Jews reconstruct the Sukkahs for the weeklong holiday of Sukkot and is a center of the festivities commemorating their ancestors. This competition is a new interpretation non the Sukkah, though the requirements are the same as biblical ones: minimum area of 7 handbreadths, roof must be made of an uprooted plant, minimum of two and a half walls, must have more shade than sun, must be able to see the stars, and be a minimum height of 10 handbreadths.

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

Six new Hurricanes football players arrived on campus and began classes Monday, a group including a ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are transforming weather forecasts by creating a seasonal for ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami football program announced Tuesday that it has agreed to a home football gam ...

Top-seeded Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team started her NCAA Singles Cha ...

The Barcelona, Spain, native caps his sophomore campaign with a team-high 21 singles wins. ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...