Photo

Sukkah Competition

Meagan Sippel, 5th Year School of Architecture student, sits in her friend Brian Law'€™s Sukkah, while he perches on the roof. The Hebrew letters for Sukkah inspired Law’s construction, which can be turned on any side and still maintain the same design and function. "I'€™m not doing this for religious reasons,"€ say Law, "Architecture students rarely get to build their designs, so this was a good opportunity to do that."€ Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

isaye James, daughter of law school Professor James, walks around the Sukkah competition with her father, checking out the different structures. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

The School of Architecture and Engineering worked together to bring the first annual Sukkah competition to Miami, inspired by the competition in New York City last year. Sukkahs historically were make shift dwellings that Jewish people would set up and take down as they traveled through the desert for 40 years. Modern day Orthodox Jews reconstruct the Sukkahs for the weeklong holiday of Sukkot and is a center of the festivities commemorating their ancestors. This competition is a new interpretation non the Sukkah, though the requirements are the same as biblical ones: minimum area of 7 handbreadths, roof must be made of an uprooted plant, minimum of two and a half walls, must have more shade than sun, must be able to see the stars, and be a minimum height of 10 handbreadths.

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...