Photo

Sukkah Competition

Meagan Sippel, 5th Year School of Architecture student, sits in her friend Brian Law'€™s Sukkah, while he perches on the roof. The Hebrew letters for Sukkah inspired Law’s construction, which can be turned on any side and still maintain the same design and function. "I'€™m not doing this for religious reasons,"€ say Law, "Architecture students rarely get to build their designs, so this was a good opportunity to do that."€ Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

isaye James, daughter of law school Professor James, walks around the Sukkah competition with her father, checking out the different structures. Cayla Nimmo//Assistant Photo Editor

The School of Architecture and Engineering worked together to bring the first annual Sukkah competition to Miami, inspired by the competition in New York City last year. Sukkahs historically were make shift dwellings that Jewish people would set up and take down as they traveled through the desert for 40 years. Modern day Orthodox Jews reconstruct the Sukkahs for the weeklong holiday of Sukkot and is a center of the festivities commemorating their ancestors. This competition is a new interpretation non the Sukkah, though the requirements are the same as biblical ones: minimum area of 7 handbreadths, roof must be made of an uprooted plant, minimum of two and a half walls, must have more shade than sun, must be able to see the stars, and be a minimum height of 10 handbreadths.

Marlena Skrobe

Co-Photo Editor

A University of Miami College of Engineering researcher is trying to perfect a technique of using lu ...

Through an internship with M. Shanken Communications, rising senior Teddy Willson has contributed to ...

University of Miami alumna Vanessa Garcia recounts her personal journey writing for the highly accla ...

University of Miami religious studies professor Catherine Newell weighs in on some of the big questi ...

NASA wants to return humans to the moon by 2024. A University of Miami engineering graduate is part ...

Two Miami Hurricanes were among those players selected to the preseason watch list for the 25th annu ...

ESPN Events announced Thursday afternoon the bracket for the 2019 Charleston Classic, set to take pl ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday its 2018-19 academic honor roll and 177 University o ...

The ACC Network is set to launch August 22. If your television provider hasn't yet decided to c ...

Claudia De Antonio, Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova were each selected as WGCA All-American Sc ...