Football, Sports

Canes prepare for Tar Heels

In a season which almost never was, if one were to believe the media hysteria surrounding the University of Miami after Yahoo’s reports of alleged NCAA infractions, the realities of missed opportunities have begun to set in. As the Hurricanes take on North Carolina this Saturday in Chapel Hill, they do so with a losing record (2-3, 0-2 ACC) and the knowledge that all three losses were much theirs for the taking.

“It hurts,” said quarterback Jacory Harris, recalling the three one-score losses this season. “I’m tired of always falling short and that’s how it’s always been since we’ve been here. But we’ll keep grinding and keep fighting.”

Offensively, Harris currently ranks 10th overall in the FBS for passing efficiency, due largely to better decision-making and relying on offensive coordinator Jedd Fisch’s system that doesn’t rely solely upon forcing the ball downfield.

And whether or not Harris’ improvements in the passing game have created opportunities for the running game or vice versa, their combined production lands Miami the ACC’s top-ranked rusher, sophomore Lamar Miller, and puts Harris second overall in pass efficiency. Miller, averaging over 135 yards per game, has topped the century mark in each game this season.

The Canes’ shortcomings this season are apparent, but lie in places recent history would not suggest.

“The challenge for the offense right now is to win the game,” head coach Al Golden said. “We didn’t win it against Kansas State and we didn’t win it [against Virginia Tech]. The offense needs to be the strength.  If we’re in a situation where the offense can win the game, the offense needs to start winning the game, because we all know we’re not where we need to be on defense.”

Golden, often visibly and admittedly frustrated with his defense’s inability to create turnovers or stop the run – second-worst in conference for each category – must again rely on a patchwork defense to contain Tar Heel running back Giovani Bernard. The freshman tailback currently ranks third in the ACC for rushing, averaging 106 yards per game.

“Given what we have, we have to do a better job stopping the run or we’re going to continue to lose in the fashion we did Saturday,” Golden said. “We have enough talent if everybody plays the same defense, the same call and we play as a unit. When we play as a unit, we’ll be okay. Will we be dominant? No.”

These defensive struggles, cited by all who watch Miami play, are not lost on any of its members either. Senior linebacker Sean Spence, the unit’s leader both emotionally and in tackles, needs to rely on all of his teammates to solve the issue.

“It’s little things, like guys not being in their gap,” Spence said. “We have a gap-control defense and if one guy gets out of their [assignment], the ball will find it. All it takes is one guy to get out of their gap and it makes the whole defense look bad. We just have to take it upon ourselves as players and do our jobs.”

Implementing new schemes and strategies to players sometimes engrained with four years worth of contradicting coaching can be a challenge for any new staff, but especially one that continues to rotate new players into the game due to sheer necessity. Season-ending injuries to players such as linebacker Ramon Buchanon and defensive tackle Marcus Forston, combined with the offseason suspensions of four different defensive starters, made the defensive combinations on the field seemingly infinite. And in response, Golden and defensive coordinator Mark D’ Onofrio have severely scaled back the playbook in hopes to counter these difficulties. The intent is clear, but its effectiveness is yet to be seen.

“It’s as simple as it can be right now,” Golden said. “For us to operate at 100 percent right now on defense, we can’t install 100 percent. That’s a function of not only being in a transition year, that’s a function of playing young guys, and also a function of playing 28, 29 guys on defense. There isn’t a lot of consistency.”

Austen Gregerson

Staff Columnist

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...