A twist on being creative

I remember when my boyfriend sent me a picture of his doodles in the middle of his chemistry class. My first reaction was, “Why on earth are you doodling? You are in the middle of class. Go learn something!”

I thought that he was distracted because the lecture was boring, but then I realized I often find myself drawing those small hearts and cartoon flowers in the corner of my paper, too.

Doodling at glance seems like a waste of time, and paper. It is seen as unproductive and shows a lack of focus for this generation. I mean why would you draw ugly stick figures across your chemistry notes when the teacher is explaining a problem?

But maybe it’s not as bad as it seems. Doodling is art. It shares our imagination with the world and shows that humans are multidimensional creatures. It reveals that we are storytellers. Haven’t we all made cute little stories in our heads about a princess and prince that went along with our impromptu drawings? And doodling is not just for little kids. I don’t think it is something you can ever fully grow out of. Even our grandmas probably doodle when reminiscing about their childhood!

Doodling expresses creativity and it lets us know that we are more than the stigma of “You are a science nerd,” or “You’re an art geek.” It blends our creative side with our gift of learning and comprehending with a little relaxation thrown in. Without it we would not be human; we are given opposable thumbs for a reason. So draw something, take a mental break and be happy with your unique piece of art.

Krystel Edwards is a freshman majoring in creative writing.

Krystel Edwards

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

A University of Miami professor discusses the dynamics of this trend. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...