Culture

Saturday nights in Miami

UM alumnus Konstantin Moeller and grad student Cynthia Fleischmann (right) look at the Works on Paper exhibition at UM’s Project Space in the heart of the Wynwood Art Walk. Devin Cordero//The Miami Hurricane

From the Wynwood Art Walk, held at the heart of the Design District, to the Coconut Grove Drum Circle, Miami’s Saturday nights traditionally offer an assortment of activities.

Wynwood Art Walk, which is held on the second Saturday of every month, features art from local artists. Galleries in Wynwood open their doors to wandering art aficionados, who generally come to the district to admire the art on display. While Saturday night’s stormy weather may have steered away regulars, the event still had a decent turnout.

“I try and go every month. I like going because it shows so much talent of the young art here and it’s a fun atmosphere,” said Cynthia Fleischmann, a UM grad student working on her master’s degree in fine arts. “A lot of students go and you can talk about the art with your mutual colleagues, and see what’s new and fresh in the neighborhood.”

The Coconut Grove Drum Circle, led by Karen Deilke and professional drummer Mark Richards, was held on Saturday night at the Mayfair Atrium at the Grove.

Both UM students and local residents attended the circle. Members were encouraged to bring their own seating and drums.

The group usually meets the first Saturday of each month.

To get involved, “like” the groups “Coconut Grove Drum Circle” or “Drum-Circle Miami” on Facebook, or contact Deilke at karen.deilke@gmail.com.

Stephanie Parra

Editor-in-chief

A University of Miami political scientist weighs in on whether election polls can be trusted given what occurred in 2016 and again last year. ...

A professor in the School of Communication, and an expert on the history of television sitcoms, writes about the 50th anniversary of “All in the Family.” ...

The former executive vice president and provost served from 1986 to 2005, elevating the University’s stature as a leading research institution. ...

The Hemispheric University Consortium is connecting universities and students for critical conversations focused on solving some of the world’s most pressing problems, such as climate change. ...

Experts say creativity and kindness can help make the most of this challenging holiday season. ...